Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Tourer D4D Tr - Mpg!

T17-TOY

My car is only achieving 39.1mpg (properly worked out - it has done less than 8000 miles. Is this the norm as it is way less than the suggested brochure MPG of 52 mpg- a big big disappointment. My previous car a Skoda Octavia 2.0l TDI 140BHP got closer to 50MPG with 143000 miles on the clock.

There are many post with owners like yourself who are dissatisfied with the poor consumption they get.

My car is only achieving 39.1mpg (properly worked out - it has done less than 8000 miles. Is this the norm as it is way less than the suggested brochure MPG of 52 mpg- a big big disappointment. My previous car a Skoda Octavia 2.0l TDI 140BHP got closer to 50MPG with 143000 miles on the clock.

My Verso no less than 45 and up to 50+ usually averages out @ 48.(6k on clock)

A mates 59 plate 2.0d Verso averages out @ 43, hes an ex mechanic and heavy footed (aren`t they all :lol: )29k on clock

My 2.0 Tourer (9k recorded) is returning between 48 and 52 mpg over a 50 mile round commuting trip which includes 30 miles motorway and the rest restricted roads. Keep it just below 65mph for max results but at or around 70 gives 48 mpg. Far better than my T180 was doing

I do a 80 mile round trip to work and only 10 miles are on country roads. The rest on dual carriageway with a nice squash and a squeeze on the A11 at Elveden (basically one does not move much. I am happy to give the car benefit of doubt but it is a disappointment that you would have to go so slow to get the mpg the brochure states. Its funny my Skoda said 47.9mpg in the brochure and my style of driving got almost dead on that mpg from new.

Mine does 41MPG tops, it will never match a VAG car especially if the Skoda had the PD engine. The newer comon rail units are only slightly worse, my old 58' Passat 2.0 Tdi CR DPF did 45-47 in the 120k+ i had it.

If i still have this car in the summer i will be curious to see if it improves, but things are very mild at the mo so the signs are not good. For the size and weight 41 is ok, my issue is with the 52 combined offical MPG, total rubbish as with most modern cars.

Car has done 13k, 3.5k with me.

the Avensis is bigger & heavier than an Octavia.

It's a more modern engine than the Octavia (VW likes to keep` Skoda/Seat a generation behind) which means lower emissions rather than higher mpg - indeed in the search for lower emissions mpg often suffers.

The brochure mpg is that achieved under the Vehicle Certification Agency test which often bears little resemblance to real life results.

mpg should improve by maybe 10% in the summer.

mine took 30,000+ miles for the engine to really loosen up.

I don't know your driving style but by the sounds of it if I was to drive your journey in the summer in my car I would expect to get high 40s - maybe 48/49 or so. Best that I have ever seen in my car was 56mpg.

I traded my 2003 2.0 diesel for a 2008 2.2 150, both Tourers.

2.0 Diesel = 50 to 55 mpg (mind you, this was not a fast car!)

2.2 Diesel = Never got it above 40 mpg yet, even same routes, same driving style

I traded my 2003 2.0 diesel for a 2008 2.2 150, both Tourers.

2.0 Diesel = 50 to 55 mpg (mind you, this was not a fast car!)

2.2 Diesel = Never got it above 40 mpg yet, even same routes, same driving style

My T-180 with a Tunit box gets far more mpg. Great piece of kit and dead easy to plug in :thumbsup:

Agree that nothing seems to come close to the VAG PD diesels in terms of realistic achievable economy. The old 1.9 I had in my passat was a real eye opener to me at the time.

That said I do not see myself going back to private diesel ownership due to the numerous problems (DPF, DMF, EGR, Injector cost etc), the cost of diesel to petrol and the economy of my 1.8 petrol avensis ~ 35-40mpg without trouble. My other half has a 58 plate SEAT alhambra 2.0 140 TDI which is one of the last non DPF PD engines. I do not plan ot own a newer diesel than this unless it is in warranty!

I have a few observations about diesel economy...

1)The manaufacturers find a way (be it by engine maps, gearing whatever) to get a good econ and emissions figure for the tests even if this is no achievable in real world as it keeps RFL and benefit tax band lower (especially important for fleet vehicles due to benefit tax) because of the link to CO2 emissions. Whilst it is annoying that the mpg you get is not what they claim, if they were 'honest' then the car would cost you more to run...might as well blam DfT for this system that can be 'gamed' in this way

2)AIUI DPF are also something of an issue as a) they use fuel in regeneration b)they are another restriction in the exhaust system so can only make the efficiency lower c)*** government tests allow manufacturers to run tests without DPF so that they appear as though they are greener when in reality they rob the car of economy and power (though they will reduce localised particulate pollution)

*** This is what I have unofficially heard I am not sure if there is direct evidence that supports or dismisses this argument

• Like 1

Agree that nothing seems to come close to the VAG PD diesels in terms of realistic achievable economy. The old 1.9 I had in my passat was a real eye opener to me at the time.

That said I do not see myself going back to private diesel ownership due to the numerous problems (DPF, DMF, EGR, Injector cost etc), the cost of diesel to petrol and the economy of my 1.8 petrol avensis ~ 35-40mpg without trouble. My other half has a 58 plate SEAT alhambra 2.0 140 TDI which is one of the last non DPF PD engines. I do not plan ot own a newer diesel than this unless it is in warranty!

I have a few observations about diesel economy...

1)The manaufacturers find a way (be it by engine maps, gearing whatever) to get a good econ and emissions figure for the tests even if this is no achievable in real world as it keeps RFL and benefit tax band lower (especially important for fleet vehicles due to benefit tax) because of the link to CO2 emissions. Whilst it is annoying that the mpg you get is not what they claim, if they were 'honest' then the car would cost you more to run...might as well blam DfT for this system that can be 'gamed' in this way

2)AIUI DPF are also something of an issue as a) they use fuel in regeneration b)they are another restriction in the exhaust system so can only make the efficiency lower c)*** government tests allow manufacturers to run tests without DPF so that they appear as though they are greener when in reality they rob the car of economy and power (though they will reduce localised particulate pollution)

*** This is what I have unofficially heard I am not sure if there is direct evidence that supports or dismisses this argument

Wise Words :thumbsup:

I have a 10-plate (August 2010) Saloon D4D which has now covered 27,000 miles and over the last 10,500 miles, I have averaged 51.2mpg (per the trip computer). This is mostly my daily commute of 10 miles B-roads and 24 miles of motorway, each way (although the return commute on the M25 is often stop-start).

My previous car (VW Passat 2.0DSG estate) averaged 43mpg over the same route, but you could probably bump that up by about 5-6mpg, if it had a manual gearbox.

I have found servicing to be more expensive on the Avensis though...

I have a 10-plate (August 2010) Saloon D4D which has now covered 27,000 miles and over the last 10,500 miles, I have averaged 51.2mpg (per the trip computer). This is mostly my daily commute of 10 miles B-roads and 24 miles of motorway, each way (although the return commute on the M25 is often stop-start).

My previous car (VW Passat 2.0DSG estate) averaged 43mpg over the same route, but you could probably bump that up by about 5-6mpg, if it had a manual gearbox.

2.0 or 2.2?

2.0 or 2.2?

2.0 - apologies if that's not like for like...

2.0 or 2.2?

The OP has a 2.0 and so do i, have you confirmed your 50's with a brim to brim not using the trip computer? If so your doing very amazingly compared to us lead footed loonies at 40! :lol:

2.0 or 2.2?

The OP has a 2.0 and so do i, have you confirmed your 50's with a brim to brim not using the trip computer? If so your doing very amazingly compared to us lead footed loonies at 40! :lol:

No, I haven't done that. I was at 52.1mpg, until about 8 weeks ago, when I was using the lights and a/c (to demist/de-ice) more often. As I reset the computer so many miles ago, it takes a while for any change to appear.

The best I've had was on a Friday morning in November 2010; driving to work (effectively, Gatwick to Heathrow Airport, via Reigate/back-roads), when I achieved 62.1 mpg. I took a picture of the display, as I was impressed...

I must admit that I do usually drive for economy and keep to around 65mph, whilst on the Motorway.

2.0 or 2.2?

No, I haven't done that. I was at 52.1mpg, until about 8 weeks ago, when I was using the lights and a/c (to demist/de-ice) more often. As I reset the computer so many miles ago, it takes a while for any change to appear.

The best I've had was on a Friday morning in November 2010; driving to work (effectively, Gatwick to Heathrow Airport, via Reigate/back-roads), when I achieved 62.1 mpg. I took a picture of the display, as I was impressed...

I must admit that I do usually drive for economy and keep to around 65mph, whilst on the Motorway.

Good Stuff :)

How many miles to a tank do you get? Mine will do 460-480 before the Range is down to 0.

2.0 or 2.2?

Good Stuff :)

How many miles to a tank do you get? Mine will do 460-480 before the Range is down to 0.

I'd say, on average, around 580-585 miles. My record is 601 and that was on 20 August 2011. I have pictures of both 'events' (with which to taunt a colleague with a Passat); that's why I know the dates.

I think that this has varied depending upon where you live & is possibly why Toyota have now introduced fixed price servicing.

& if the garage will let you supply your own oil (within requ. spec. of course) you can save a bit more e.g I've just booked mine in for an intermediate service at £159 but I'm getting ~£40 off for supplying my own oil which I bought on offer & that cost me £20-25 iirc.

I'd say, on average, around 580-585 miles. My record is 601 and that was on 20 August 2011. I have pictures of both 'events' (with which to taunt a colleague with a Passat); that's why I know the dates.

I wonder what they did wrong to the 2011 cars then, i am going to drive home at 65 and see what happens. I am not confident :lol:

I think that this has varied depending upon where you live & is possibly why Toyota have now introduced fixed price servicing.

& if the garage will let you supply your own oil (within requ. spec. of course) you can save a bit more e.g I've just booked mine in for an intermediate service at £159 but I'm getting ~£40 off for supplying my own oil which I bought on offer & that cost me £20-25 iirc.

I shall shop around next time...

I wonder what they did wrong to the 2011 cars then, i am going to drive home at 65 and see what happens. I am not confident :lol:

Use the 'real time' momentary mpg to guide your right foot! and try to anticipate lights/junctions/roundabouts to minimise braking (obviously where safe) - it is acceleration and hills that eat fuel.

I used to regularly get 600 miles from my 1.6 petrol P11 Primera (daily 'commuting' from Wokingham > Warwick) 95% motorwayy driving carefully at 65-70. That was a 60 litre tank.

I am pretty sure that I could get 700 miles from my 1997 Passat Estate 1.9TDI (110bhp) which had 62 litre tank.

Just DONT run out boys :rolleyes: you'll feel like an idiot

Well, good luck, anyway... Maybe my journey just lends itself to good fuel economy (although I do travel in both directions, of course).

This is the issue with the car, i do 68 miles to the office each way and 65 of that is Motorway, the old Passat (58 Reg) did its official MPG in my hands at the pumps 48MPG, this Avensis with the same usage is 10MPG off the official combined. Its the only car i've had that is miles off the official combined and i've had a lot of cars working for manufacturers and dealer groups.

Its nothing to do with driving style, as i consider myself quite professional in my approach, i pay for fuel and claim it back so its in my interest to drive properly. The previous user got no more than 37MPG, the cars s**t on fuel and i can do nothing about it.

Right 68.6 miles at 65MPH (Speedo not Sat Nav) on the cruise and here you go! It will do good figures, it took me 20 mins longer than normal though, the car isnt as good on fuel as my Passat for outside lane usage.

P1000622.jpg

Just to prove its real ;)

P1000623.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links