Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Did This Problem Ever Get Sorted ?

rambler

You can get at that bottom link with wd40 but don't do it while the engine is hot.

Well i just had a quick look in the dark,but with good headtorch on....cant see it anywhere.....i assume its buried under the turbo at back somewhere ?

Can it be reached by hand ?

You can get at that bottom link with wd40 but don't do it while the engine is hot.

Well i just had a quick look in the dark,but with good headtorch on....cant see it anywhere.....i assume its buried under the turbo at back somewhere ?

Can it be reached by hand ?

I think it will be easier to access if you take the plastic cover off the top of the engine. The turbo is at the back by the bulkhead and the actuator is the round 'can' with the tube on the top. The linkage is directly under the 'can'

As Anchs says, don't go near it when it's hot.

Ok......so i guess i would have to remove the intercooler ( grid on top of engine ?)...somehow.

Beneath that i suppose is the engine cover ?

Beneath, and at the rear i guess is the turbo workings....i guess i fiind that actuator arm there.....somewhere.

Contemplating doing this myself at weekend,as local garage cant do it for 2 weeks.

OR ...booking it in at Toyota,IF this takes no more than a couple of hrs ??..maybe even quicker for them.

Rambs

Lean right over. It is at the bottom of the vacuum unit circled here;

Turbo.jpg

Rambs

Lean right over. It is at the bottom of the vacuum unit circled here;

Turbo.jpg

Blimey.....that looks easy to get to.

Thanks Anchorman.....will give it a look tomorrow afternoon ( with a cool engine )

Here's hoping :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok....took Rav to local garge today,he said actuator moves as it should.

He also did a full ' smoke ' test on everything that could ' leak 're boost....no leaks..

And the cat is sooty black but not blocked.

So they reckon its a sensor,.....possibly.

They didn't charge me anything.....as have yet to find the fault.

I'm tempted to give it to Mr T ,so they can plug it into full Toyota top of the range diagnostic's,find the correct fault & just do it.

May cost a few quid but at least it will get sorted.

maybe re-check the SVC valves, you never know maybe something was not done right?

You know ....i have given this some thought..i may approach Colchester toyota next week.

Just get them to test them.....just in case.

Rambs, really sorry your problems not solved but at least you now know what it isn't and its not cost you, I was under the impression you had,had diagnostics done and it had thrown up a Turbo fault code :unsure: I am not sure what to suggest now because fancy diagnostics can only give you fault codes and if it again shows a turbo related fault, you can bet your life someone will suggest a new Turbo which may or may not be the answer, what you really need is a good talk with someone who knows the vehicle inside out (maybe the service manager at a good Mr T) prior to diagnostics, then re-assurance that whatever they suggest will definately cure the problems :thumbsup:

Think about taking your vehicle to a place other than a dealership with an expensive fault code reader! Look to take it somewhere that understands vehicle systems and uses a Pico Scope. It does not matter what vehicle you have all sensors give off a wave form that a scope can read and the information is far superior to just about anything else out there because of it's high sample rate. Fault code readers can sometimes only point you in the right direction and the reading from the fault code device can often only be a symptom and not the cause of what is going on. A scope in the right hands can help nail down the problem quickly. Very often a fault code reader is unable to even set a code because as far as it is concerned no useful information can be passed back to the reader only the fact the component is present or not.

Rambs, really sorry your problems not solved but at least you now know what it isn't and its not cost you, I was under the impression you had,had diagnostics done and it had thrown up a Turbo fault code :unsure: I am not sure what to suggest now because fancy diagnostics can only give you fault codes and if it again shows a turbo related fault, you can bet your life someone will suggest a new Turbo which may or may not be the answer, what you really need is a good talk with someone who knows the vehicle inside out (maybe the service manager at a good Mr T) prior to diagnostics, then re-assurance that whatever they suggest will definately cure the problems :thumbsup:

Yes i did have it on diagnostics,on a Snap on machine at local garage...but this apparently only gives a general ' turbo system malfuncttion' .

From that you just start working on anything that controls the turbo inc the turbo itself,until you find the fault....sensors,plugs,valves,wiring.

i think next step is....a conversation with,as you say ..the service manager at my Colchester toyota.

Or even their workshop top technician...i have dealt with him before to be honest,he's quite helpful....does his best for me.

I have until now worried about costs......but i just want it sorted now,just to get it out of my mind,sleep easier.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links