Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bike Rack Help, Rear Or Roof For Avensis?

lungo

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a bike rack etc for 3 bikes (2 at the moment can fit inside the boot but not when my kids get bigger!!)

and was wondering what is the best way to do this??

rear or roof and what will be best? Toyota ones or universal ones??

Thanks all

I have had a few types (Thule and Atera) on roof and on back of various cars and MPV.

In my opinion (and subject to you be able to justify the investment) the bike carriers that mount to tow bars are the best. The only real disadvantage is they add length to the vehicle and initial cost is high. (Less if you already have towbar + electrics). The roof ones are high so can be an issue going to car parks etc AND a pain to place 3 or 4 on roof. The tailgate ones prevent you from opening the boot which can be a nightmare if you have a puncture etc.

The benefits of towbar mounted

1)Can keep for next car easily

2)Don't have to strain to lift the bikes

3)Security

4)Aero impact less severe

I always find this site useful to see what is out there

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-racks/

HTH

Tim

Thanks for that mate,

I have seen the towbar ones and they look good but what is the rear view like for driving??

Also need to find out which type of tow bar to get..

I believe there are 2 types, swan and flange.

Also need to thing about the nose weight rating of the avensis.

Thanks for that mate,

I have seen the towbar ones and they look good but what is the rear view like for driving??

Hi

We’ve got the 4 bike Maxxraxx see http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/racks/prem_max4_flange.html

Have used it for two bikes and it’s great. Needed a lighting board though. Also used it while towing caravan. We had with a flange towbar but there’s also one for swan neck.

Then we got two of these http://cityparts.co.uk/product/Accord_Bicycle_Lift_08L07-TA1-601H

Absolutely brilliant but sooo expensive. Have used with and without towing caravan.

Fingertip puts your bikes up to the roof carrier – amazing, and very secure.

HTH

Jim

Thanks for that mate,

IMO Swan looks nicer but is less practical. flange lets you optionally attach things like bike racks in a more mechanically fixed way. Also depending on car Some require a hole (or a bigger hole) cut in the bumper. The rear view is definitely compromised but it is ok on motorway etc. Certainly not as bad as the the type that go high over the rear screen!

With respect to nose weight, unless your bikes are super heavy it will be a non issue (unless you are towing at the sametime) 3 bikes + rack would be only be about 60kg (assuming they are quite HEAVY 15kg bikes) one of mine is about 7kg.

js77 and T5NELtim,

i have also been looking at the maxxrax but massive price difference depending on what tow bar you have, I believe the flange is cheaper.

I will be putting on 2-3 bikes so hopefully will not be a problem.

Just the thought of having to cut the bumper etc is not to my taste, will have to look at the price of a flange tow bar and see how it fixs on.

I am more towads the rear bike rack as the Roof Rack maybe too high and difficult to get 3 bikes ontop physically but would like to be able to use the boot too as I have to be able to get pram etc in too.

lol too many things to take into consideration.....

Hi I have a Thule 4 bike rack for the swan neck tow bar. Really easy to fit and folds away into the boot when bikes off. You can also tilt with bikes on to open boot. I also use it with board in centre to take rubbish down to the dump as you can't take trailers and the guys there always look for the wheels Ha Ha!

I use a flange mount (seem to be safer) with a pendle carrier. no problem to put bikes on, but need to arrange pedals. I take 4 bikes normally, and carried the bikes on it all over Europe as well.

I have also roof mount, but you do need a small bench to put them on.

TwoT

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links