Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 2.2 D4D Which Oil?

vsmuthu

Hi,

Which grade oil to use when servicing the vehicle?

Toyota dealer says 5W30 Semi-synth, if that's the case their £150 charge for Int. Service is a rip-off! as you can get good quality 10 liters of 5w30 Semi-synth for less than £50.

I am planning to use 5W30 Full Synth either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge, it has 55,000 miles on the clock.

The manual says 6 liters oil so planning to get that for £50. and pay a local mechanic to replace oil and filter! or do I need to use the dealer? and ask them to take off the cost for Oil?

As Toyota are now doing fixed price servicing you may not be able to discount the oil off the price of a service (it's worth asking), if you use an independent they must be VAT registered and keep the VAT receipts in the event you want to sell the car on (a full service history is a good thing).

Have you thought of using Morris Lubricants? They are just as good as the "main brands" but are a bit cheaper.

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/Scripts/prodview.asp?sku=MSS

Hi, Which grade oil to use when servicing the vehicle? Toyota dealer says 5W30 Semi-synth, I am planning to use 5W30 Full Synth either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge, i

Why not use the oil recommended by Toyota ? :huh:

duncerduncs - Thanks for your reply,

on the Morris Lubricants - I would better stick to well know brands - Castrol / Mobil / Shell etc

"Why not use the oil recommended by Toyota ?"

I came to know the 2.2 D4D burns some oil every 1000 miles! also the Engine on my Verso was replaced due the excessive oil consumption problem last year (before I bought the car)

From my little knowledge the Mobil 1 Fully Synth oils doesn't burn as much as other Semi-synth ones which should save me checking oil every month rather than every week.

The oil grade is 5w 30 semi synthetic. It is available in pack form from your local dealer. Why faff around buying this that and the other oil?

Kingo :thumbsup:

Mobil 1 and castral Edge are good but not so good for longer term or Japanese cars (to cut a long story short), derived from research of opinions from other motor mechanics.

After 2 Months of trying to decide on a fully Synthetic brand, I sellted for either Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W30 - 5 Litre or Motul X-CESS Synthetic 5W40 - 5 Litre. Although at a slightly higher priced of these 2, I eventually purchased Motul from a online Dealer based somewhere in Essex and received the purchased item quite quickly. I also purchased a K & N replacement Oil Filter.

How this oil perform in protecting the engine, I have yet to determine but at the moment, I fell content, no little niggling thoughts at the back of my mind.

Then there's the choosing of a garage to change the Oil and Filter, many would use their own oil and keep the upgraded supplied oil (be sure to watch them do the work and not let their Not insured in this Area deter you, go somewhere else). Even majority of main Dealers would try it on as experienced from accepting a Free Power Steering Fluid change to find I suddenly had a faulty ABS sensor after 1 Week back on the road (on a 15k miles vehecle).

If I had a choice of any oils it would be Motul 300v or Gulf comp double ester oils as the TBN (Total Base Number) and the viscosity, flash point(Especially on the Motul) is almost doulbe that of Mobil 1 ESP (5w-30) with regards engine protection (TBN) but the problem being that they have a high ash content and the D-CAT on my T-180 wouldn't like it at all and would fail in xxxx miles!... I've gone for Mobil 1 ESP over Castrol EDGE (Even though I have over 40lts in the shed) because it meets the C2 spec where EDGE doesnt!... I wrote a a very long letter to Castrol sometime ago asking why on there web site (Oil recomendation page) they endorsed EDGE and I got an email back stating why and posted it on the forum for people to see.

Mobile 1 ESP (5w-30 C2 spec) can be bought for £62 for 2x5ltr containers delivered if you know where to look! The Motul 300V that I use in my Polo TDi and Citroen C3 1.6 petrol is very expensive, but again if you know wher to look you can pick it up for £10 for a 2ltr can.... So its a case of looking at a very well known auction site! :D :ph34r: :bookworm: :yes::driving:

If you live near a Kwik-Fit garage, it's not worth your while. They now only put in fully synthetic oil, because of the problems they have had with customers with mainly German cars. If you book it in advance on the internet, they charge £45 for oil + filter change. However, the oil grade was not the one recommended by Toyota - from memory I think it was either 5w40 or 10w30. For an extra £10, they will put in 5w30, fully synthetic. My Verso has now done 95,000 trouble free miles and the only time it has used any oil was during the first 10,000 miles. Don't get hung up on the make of oil - Kwik-Fit use Mobil, which is a renowned oil. Just one point - they will not stamp your service book for an oil and filter change.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links