Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Whoosh - But Sounds Like Fresh Air

jimbobsteele

Hi All

My 2.2 D4D has a problem, just this morning, after hard frost overnight. 57k miles on clock.

The turbo sounds like it is kicking in... but here is no power. And it sounds like the turbo is whooshing air somewhere other than the engine.

Seems like it is kicking in at the right times... but the air (or pressure) is being lost somewhere.

Briefly checked the thick rigid hose between air filter and turbo. Looks fine. No engine management lights showing.

What else should I check?

(Had EGR issues in previous Avensis. This is NOT the same thing at all.)

Help much appreciated!?

Thanks - JS

One of your inter cooler hoses must be spilt get someone to rev the car and have a look at them

Thanks for suggestion.

These are the big pipes, 3" diameter, leading to the 'thing' mounted inside the bumper. On the passenger side?

If so, doesn't look like easy access. Any good ideas there?

When the turbo spools up, if there is a leak, how much air will I be looking/feeling for?

Like a gentle blowing? Or a hurricane force?

Thanks

You will get a large blast of air when reving if u have a spilt hose you will hear it easy

Just for my curiosity... I wondered when the air reaches the intercooler? Is this sequence correct:

* Air sucked through air filter.

* Air sucked into turbo.

* Air goes down to intercooler, and back.

* Air goes into engine.

* Air is exhausted.

Is this right? I presume the air does go to the intercooler before the engine... as the pipes are rubberised, and wouldn't stand high temperatures. So basically, this process cools the compressed air before it goes into the engine itself?

Yes that's basically what happens, compressing the air with a turbo heats it up which defeats part of the objective so using an intercooler cools the air down some which makes the air more dense so more air can be put into the engine making it more efficient.

Maybe one of the hoses has come off your intercooler.

This video link is quite good at explaining the it. http://bcove.me/blq8q0sw

Regards .... Pete.

Towards the bottom fat rubber pipe, there is a 'breeze' when revved. Not huge, but can be felt.

Only had the car a month - the dealer is taking it back for a look.

Further question: On giving the fat rubber pipe a little squeeze, I notice the water expansion tank bubbles a little... Is this expected? I figured the water cooling & air cooling should be separate?

Towards the bottom fat rubber pipe, there is a 'breeze' when revved. Not huge, but can be felt. Only had the car a month - the dealer is taking it back for a look. Further question: On giving the fat rubber pipe a little squeeze, I notice the water expansion tank bubbles a little... Is this expected? I figured the water cooling & air cooling should be separate?

Sounds like the `breeze` your feeling is from the fan and the `fat pipe` is a coolant hose.

So... the dealer says the pipes are fine. No issue with them anywhere.

Somewhere, turbo pressure is being dumped, for some reason. They cannot figure out how/where, but they suspect a vacuum assembly. (Apparently, there are many such vacuum things.)

Any ideas on that?

The dealer traced the fault to an Air Mass Sensor, apparently. This was replaced, and everything started working again.

Clarissa is back on the road... Mrs Jimbob is happy once more. :thumbsup:

The dealer traced the fault to an Air Mass Sensor, apparently. This was replaced, and everything started working again. Clarissa is back on the road... Mrs Jimbob is happy once more. :thumbsup:

:hokus-pokus: Magic !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links