Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Noise In Steering

scoutoz

hi folks

havent been on for some time as 06 rav4 has been working fine, now done 42k and has just started this knocking noise in steering,

my excellent local mech, has had a look during service and doesnt know what it is, he believes it is something similar to the landcruiser

which he fixed by doing something similar to lower end of steering column, shall tell him of your findings, By the way the yanks are squealing blue murder

about the same prob,

regards to all,

Thats bonkers how they can say a knocking in the steering isn't a safety issue as I've had a few cars fail mots for worn steering knuckles (mainly the mrs old ford fiesta and a Golf). If it fails an MoT cause of it surely the manufacturer cant claim it's not a safety affecting fault?

My 2007 has this intermidiate shaft noise. Not worried as apparently not a safety issue but has anyone been lucky enough for Mr T to do the work under warranty?

It has been done but you have to write to TGB with all the details.

Mine has same problem but has just passed mot, garage said I should just put up with it!

Mine has just passed MOT also and they didn't even mention any noise or knocking! It has done it since I had it, 2 years ago next month and seems to have gotten no worse overall, although it does seem worse in summer/warm weather being much less frequent or noticeable in colder weather. Anyone else noticed this?

Toyota have said it is not a safety issue when I had them inspect it last year. The garage I bought it from said it was a quirk.of the design and "they all did it", but then it was an Arnold Clark and the same salesman also lied through his teeth about what their service plan actually covered.

• 1 month later...

I have recently started to get this steering knock. I notice it at low speeds if turning either way...I have to drive through a security chicane at work...like a slalom! And I can feel a knock as i turn in each direction.

It is starting to bug me now!

My car is 4 yr old now...so whats the chances of Mr T being generous?

Has anyone else had a favourable outcome with same issue?

Cheers

I've heard of thenm being done out of warranty but you need a good service history and a well written letter. Ther is a new TSB on the subject.

• 1 month later...

Ha. I made a clear case to Mr T that they had recognised that they had designed something not fit for purpose, proven by the fact that they changed out this part under warranty for this reason. With such facts, the age of the vehicle would be immaterial as to whether the part was not fit for purpose. My response from Mr T was...

"I appreciate that our response does not meet your expectations and apologise that

on this occasion your expectations have not been met."

Customer don't-care service.

In the scheme of things, if you have to Shell out £150 for bits on a 6 year old vehicle, it's not so bad. You can leave it for another time.

I have the same kind of problem with my 1997 mk 1 rav4,but still cant pin down what the problem really is.If i had the problem on a mini years back it would be the cvj's "constant velocity joints",as the noise is similar to those when they needed replacing.I get this noise mainly on full lock at slow speeds,and more noise in reverse.The car has just passed its M.O.T,with nothing to be done and no advisorys,so no help there not that i am complaining,as looking at some of the quotes people have had on here,i will have to win the lottery before i can get mine fixed.I am in between a rock and a hard place with this,if i change the drive shafts chances are it is not them,the comments about the "Steering intermediate shafts",are interesting,but i dont get noise from the steering column.At a loss really as to what to do,someone said it could be the front Diff/Transfer box,like happens a lot on the Honda CRV'S,they seem to stop making noises if you add an addative,my Rav is an automatic so has no diff locks.To change all the parts mentioned here would be well out of my price range,so unless someone has some good input it looks like i will just have to keep driving it,and hoping it hangs together until i learn to not keep choosing the wrong 6 lottery numbers.Looking on the bright side,i am getting on in years,so it might outlast me.LOL

You can usually tell if a cv joint is worn by excessive end float. Go in an empty car park and set off on full lock in both directions. More noise on the right lock means the right side and more to the left means the left side. See how you get on with the test Ken.

Thank you for your input Don,once again not much to narrow things down,but this is what happens.When you drive on full lock,the noise is pretty much the same on left and right locks,but going backwards on full lock,the noise once again on both locks are pretty much the same,except going backwards the noise is much harsher,and you wait for the ball bearings or whatever is in them now to drop out onto the road,i am develping a nervous tick,when on full lock,forwards or in reverse.If it is the cv joints,then i have to assume it is the pair of them that are naff.Thank you once again for your input.

Ken, a good local garage should be able to home in a bit for you. Isn't there somebody who can give you some guidance?

Hi Don,i have taken it to a local garage,and a distinct scratching of heads was noted,they came up with what we have discussed,but no real solution.I should in an ideal world take it to a main toyota dealer,but am fearful of the cost,having said that,i went to a main dealer to get some automatic transmission fluid because the stuff my old MK 1 uses is as rare as rocking horse dung,as it is a high heat one specific to a couple of models only,and of course muggins here has to own one.But his knowlwedge of my model due to its age was very sparce,and had me telling him i needed a "T" rated fluid,that he knew nothing of until he waded through some service books and found out it was the case,then believe it or not had to special order it.So my faith in that particular main dealer was slightly dented.I will press on and see what materialises with the passage of time,and if i come up with anything,will impart it on here just in case it can help others that might just get this problem.Thank you for your help,much appreciated.

• 7 years later...

this topic stops rather suddenly , anyone here ?

5 minutes ago, Kingunits said:

this topic stops rather suddenly , anyone here ?

The topic is 7.5 years old. The final poster, Ken62, last visited the club in 2016 ........

• 6 months later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links