Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cruise Control For 4.2 D4D

Tech01

Picking up on some postings about Intermittent wiper Control, I see that Jedi, Joylove (and now me too) are interested in retro-fitting a genuine Toyota cruise control to our 4.2s.

Does anyone have definitive information on this? What switches etc. are necessary (?? part numbers), and is it just a question of using existing wiring/plug-ins, or is any reprogramming (activation) of ECU function needed?

I'd really like to add CC to mine.

Chris

I can tell you that Hoovie has a very nice aftermarket kit for sale with more functions than the OE. I suspect the OE will prove very expensive.

I already have CC fitted as standard. It looks like you just need the stalk, loom and clutch switch. But not sure if anything has to be enabled in the ecu. A drive by wire post 2003> RAV also needed I been told, is yours drive by wire? Techi

If so you could try fitting the parts I guess, not sure how much the parts will cost, but I can't see them being that expensive even by toyotas standards.?

Maybe a quick check to see if you have got a clutch switch?

I have sat nav unit, but there are also the wires in there for the normal radio, maybe your wireing is already there for CC.

On my golf all the wires were already there, I just had to change the indicator stalk for a CC one, and enable CC in the ecu.

84632 84632-34011 SWITCH, CRUISE CONTROL MAIN ACA2#,CLA2#..ARL,EUR 1 01/09/2004

84633 84633-64010 WIRE, CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH,TYPE B:REFER TO ILLUSTRATION, ACA20,21,CLA2#..EUR 1 01/07/2003

99999 90159-50199 SCREW W/WASHER 020N

And I presume you will need the clutch switch, but I think your RAV is pre facelift (looking at your Square fogs lights) so will be NON drive by wire, which Joylove says will be a pain to fit CC too.

post-73910-0-95231100-1328175052_thumb.j

Thanks, Jedi

I'll do some checking at my end for all the items you mention, and see what's there.

Chris

Thanks, Jedi

I'll do some checking at my end for all the items you mention, and see what's there.

Chris

Worth doing a search on here....I'm sure this was covered before, and the wires were indeed there for CC, but the poster needed hospital treatment on hearing price of Toyota's Activational Equipment (Bits.....)

Big Kev

I've just read a Tacoma and Avensis retrofit thread, neither of which needed ECU coding.

You all better buy your CC stalks now before Toyota click what's goning on and put the price up on these parts.

Or start offering retro fitting of CC to all models.

:-)

Brief update:

I'm going ahead and (hoping) to fit a functioning CC to my 2003 D4D on Monday 20 Feb. Got my local T. parts counter to confirm the correct stalk-switch and link cable, which are approx. £80 for the two. (Thanks, Jedi for the part numbers, etc.)

Sod's Law kicked in, though. My 4.2 has a build date of June 2003. Cruise was offered as a fitment from July 2003. I took delivery of the vehicle (new) in August 2003.

But, looking on the bright side, it does have an already-fitted Clutch Switch, and a 2-pole unused connector sculling about in the steering column lower cowl. So who knows...

The T. workshop have agreed to get the parts, try to fit them, and, if no-go, all I'll have to pay is a return/handling charge of approx €18. If it all works, they'll charge me parts + 1 hour's labour. A test-run will be done with the switch hanging loose, before they cut the hole in the steering wheel underside!

Question, though... Does anyone know whether the Clutch Switch has any function other than that associated with the Cruise Control?

Will let you know how things turn out.

Chris

That 2 pole plug could well be for the CC, looking at the diagram I sent you on the other post the switch only has 2 connections :thumbsup:

This could be a nice easy CC retro fit...................

Also like JoyLove said, your rav needs to be drive by wire, if it is, it will have the newer Ecu, and your throttle pedal will have electrical wires coming out of it as opposed to a cable.

It's got all those things, so, hopefully...

C.

Clutch switch may also be used in Americaland, where they will prevent the starter motor from turning over unless you press the clutch.

• 2 weeks later...

My visit to Mr.T in Velez-Malaga yesterday confirmed what I had sussed out already. My 4.2 was manufactured (June 2003) just one month before the introduction of CC as an option, and does not have the necessary steering column connections for an easy installation of the CC stalk switch into the steering wheel.

I also asked the technician whether he would check whether the ECU had the CC functionality in it, and so whether a new connection into it might be possible. I didn't get a clear answer on this (bit of a language problem here with this), and I guess they might even not have made the investigation.

Q: Does anyone know whether it's possible to diagnostically (or otherwise) check the available functionality of the ECU, to see whether the CC function is present? I could then ask a more experienced T. workshop to do the necessary test.

Frustratingly, I've looked at both the April 2003 Electrical Wiring Diagram TSB update (BE-3010) and the later EWD561E diagram (7/2003 - 2005), to find that all the ECU connections and pin numbers on the ECUs are the same, with the exception of

CCS / (D)5 / connector E7

- the cruise control connection - which is just absent on the earlier circuit diagram. On the vehicle, the E7 pin5 connection is empty.

I'm just wondering whether factory might have used the older wiring loom, but "next month's" ECU ?

Chris

PS At the price of ECUs, I'm reluctant just to make a connection (even with the genuine T. switch) on spec. I also cannot see any identifying numbers on the ECU, at least not without removing it, which I'm reluctant to do.

Can you see if you actually have the "cruise control" light in the clocks? This might be a good indicator, its under the mph clock on mine, lights up green when cc is turned on.

Any chance of posting up the post 2003 wireing diagrams for the CC :D

1CD-FTV CC - 1.pdf

I cannot see any instrument panel indicator, but then I wouldn't expect to, since is wasn't an option on the car.

Circuit diagram, 7/2003 herewith...

Chris

Can you post the pre 2003 diagrams also, the ones for your vehicle.....

Or can you see if you have ccs on pin 5 of the ecu? EDIT: I think you said this in your previous post :blush:..... is anything physically connected the ECU on pin 5?

I`m sure pre 2003 VX models came with CC, I could be wrong though.

Yep looks like you have a different ecu, pin 5 is taken up by something else, and you don't have the CC led in the dash according to the diagram.....................you'll have to just put a brick on the accelerator :P

pin 5 is taken up by something else

No, I don't think it is. Have scoured the BE-3010 (Apr.2003) circuit diagram, and there appears to be no 5(D) connection shown on the ECU (D = connector E7). Can you see it?

That's why I need to know whether it's possible to interrogate the ECU by a diagnostic tool, to find out whether the CC function is present on the chip. (Or to check this info by any other means.)

I might just ring my hitherto helpful Toyota dealer-workshop in the UK.

Chris

pin 5 is taken up by something else

No, I don't think it is. Have scoured the BE-3010 (Apr.2003) circuit diagram, and there appears to be no 5(D) connection shown on the ECU (D = connector E7). Can you see it?

That's why I need to know whether it's possible to interrogate the ECU by a diagnostic tool, to find out whether the CC function is present on the chip. (Or to check this info by any other means.)

I might just ring my hitherto helpful Toyota dealer-workshop in the UK.

Chris

O right im with you now I think??? its pin 5C im refering too.... are you saying there maybe a pin 5D (CCS) on the ECU that is not marked on the diagram?

Correct. Pin 5(D) ----- the CCS connection on the 7/2003> wiring diagram ----- exists on my ECU (it's pin 5 on the E7 connector), but there's no wiring connected to it.

What I need to know is, does the CCS facility exist on my ECU, or not? If it does, I'll make a connection to it.

Easy question; not so easy to find the answer . . . so far.

Yours, patiently,

Chris

• 4 years later...
On 2/1/2012 at 4:05 PM, Tech01 said:

Picking up on some postings about Intermittent Wiper Control, I see that Jedi, Joylove (and now me too) are interested in retro-fitting a genuine Toyota cruise control to our 4.2s.

Does anyone have definitive information on this? What switches etc. are necessary (?? part numbers), and is it just a question of using existing wiring/plug-ins, or is any reprogramming (activation) of ECU function needed?

I'd really like to add CC to mine.

Chris

Hi Chris. Can you please help with my CC installation? I have a 2009 Rav4 2.2 D4D AWD.(Manual Transmission) I installed the CC steering switch. Then found that here was no connections on the clock spring side to the ECM or to earth. On the web, I found a diagram showing the connection to Pin 40 on the ECM (&earth for the other). No joy! My Toyota dealer confirmed via their Techtream that the CC is setup on the car. I now am stumped. I cannot find a wiring diagram for the CC setup for my vehicle to find which pin to connect to on the ECM. I also don't know whether the ECM software just needs to be "enabled". Toyota dealers here just don't know. By the way I have checked out all my wiring and all is fine! See attached file

Do you have any pointers for me

Toyota Cruise Control wiring Setup.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links