Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Won't Start! Help!

Lmm

Hey guys,

I hope someone can help me out...I've a 2003 1.6 petrol avensis. I was driving it on the motorway yesterday when the oil light starting flashing then stayed on. Then, within seconds the Battery light came on and the car completely died while driving. Plus just before it cut out, the car jumped a bit which I'm guessing was the fuel being shut off..?

So I had to freewheel onto the hard shoulder. The hazard lights stayed on for about two

minutes when they also died, the Battery was extremely dead.

It has been slow to start the last while and I guessed the started was on it's way out so I had one purchased and ready to fit today! Typical for the car to break down hours before it was due o be repaired! :(

When breakdown assist arrived he said that he thinks the starter siezed and therefore drained the Battery flat so the car was towed to the garage.

It has since been fitted with a new starter but still won't start and my mechanic is left scratching his head trying to figure out what's happening. Codes showing up are showing a immobiliser problem but yet he still can't manage to get the car starting, it's not even attempting to start.

Sorry for the long post just trying to give as much info as possible. Any ideas ye have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone!!! :)

You wrote that it started with the oil warning light. Have you checked that you have oil in the enginesump? Can you rotate the engine by hand?

What happens when you try to start the engine? Does the starter turn around at all?

How is the Battery? If a car is difficult to start it could be as easy as the Battery is flat.

It was lot of questions I asked you. I hope some, or at least one, of them will help you to find the problem with the car.

By the way how long time was it between the oil warninglamp and the batterywarning lamp got lit?

My guess is that you need a new Battery first of all then you need to find out why it didn't stay charged. Double check the alternator.

have you not got to press the fuel cut of buttom again to let the fuel run again,,

have you not got to press the fuel cut of buttom again to let the fuel run again,,

Thanks for replying!

The oil light came on then literally within seconds the Battery light came on so I didn't have much time to react before things went wrong!!

I really wish it was just a flat Battery. The Battery and alternator are perfect so that was rules out. Plus the new starter has been installed.

I had a Toyota mechanic have a look at it today and he said there was fuel coming in and the was a spark. The engine is turning over but not starting. Anyway, he did a compression test and the bad news is he thinks it's running on two valves so a new engine is suggested!

I'm am absolutely fuming considering I only have the car a few weeks and it has been one problem after the other. Toyota believe that the car was possibly run on low oil by the previous owner and basically the damage was done when I bought it! Not happy!! :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links