Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starter Motor Worn Out? (98/r Avensis)

stubarny

Hello,

When I turn the ignition there is a 'click' noise in the engine - the click is mechanical so I think the start motor is trying to turn but not succeeding.

Very occasionally (about 1 in in 50 attempts) the crank turns part of a revolution or two but then the engine dies.

Being an electrical component I guess the electrical contacts either work or don't work? - therefore if movement is happening does this mean the solenoids are OK?

Which woud mean that something else is stopping the starter motor turning - could it just need servicing/lubricating?

Thanks,

Stu

ediit - sorry forgot to mention that I've tested the Battery and it's fine.

Yep my guess is it's the starter, especially if your Battery is fine! Same thing happened to my Avensis. It's an easy enough job to do and not too expensive!

The "click" you hear will indeed be the solonoid operating.

It could be something simple like loose or dirty connections on the Battery.

When this happens there may be just enough juice to operate the solonoid but not enough to let past the large amount of current that the starter needs.

Inside the solonoid there are some heavy duty contacts that can in time can get dirty or burnt.

These are replaceable if they cannot be cleaned and I have seen them for sale at around £15/£17 which could save you forking out for a new starter

Del

Thanks very much.

Just to be clear are the solenoids in the same unit as the starter motor or are these seperate? i.e. if I replace the starter motor will that take care of the solenoids?

(I'm thinking of replacing the starter motor entirely because they're only about £40 from a breaker's yard).

Thanks,

Stu

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links