Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Fluid And Engine Coolant -- Are Genuine T Any Better?

janeko

Hi,

I'm having my discs&pads changed. Got MTec following advice on here. I want to change the brake fluid as well but the local garage is having hard time sourcing the genuine T one. Should I worry? Or will any decent Dot4 do?

I do not do race driving so I see no real reason to get a pro Motul660 etc for a lot of money.

Similar question about engine coolant. Here I really can't believe there is any advantage in a genuine coolant, this seems like relatively simple chemistry (water + glycol?)

any views or specific advice appreciated!

cheers!

Any good qualiy long life antifreze should do.but cant your garage get the Toyota brand from your toyota dealer?

Same goes with brake fliud plenty of quality DOT 4 out there.

Do we know that dealers use Toyota brand themselves but left to their choice like lube oil is.

my handbook says use SAE J1703 or FMVSS No 116 DOT3 or

SAE J1704 or FMVSS No 116 DOT4

for cooant it says use TOYOTA super long life coolant. or similar high quality ethylene glycol based,non silicate,none amine,non nitrate,and non borate long life.

Lifes never easy.

cheers! that sounds reasonable.

T said they would only supply the brake fluid in a 5l container which makes no sense so I will go with sth else.

Coolant used to be funny stuff. Don't know how applicable this is today but red and green types I believe were very different and shouldn't be mixed as it could cause a chemical (acidic) reaction. I was told that too years ago when I used to have an Audi. Even changing completely from one to another wasn't advised without major flushing.

Brake fluid hasn't the same issues as long as you don't jump to a silicon type. Stick to the DOT rating recommended.

Yes as Mooly says it pays to give the system a good flush out.

Audi used the same coolant as VW and there were 3 types blue and a pink which did not mix.then they brought out another which mixed with either.

left the original coolant in my passat for 15 years with no problem at all,it was the blue variety.

I dont know what model you have but you should put the Toyota super longllife (vivid pink) fluid in anything newish, the brake fluid supplied by your dealer is DOT5.1 and again should be used in modern vehicles, it has corrosion inhibitors in it for ABS and VSC use. You can pick any of this up off the shelf at your dealer

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links