Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Dust - Front Alloys

T17-TOY

The most annoying thing about my year old Avensis is that if I leave washing (specifically the wheels) for more than a week the front brakes pads give off so much dust that it superglues itself to the front alloys.

The silver wheels turn black and no amount of acid seems to remove it without multiple sprays and scrubbing. It becomes etched on. The only thing that helps is a non stick scourer!!

I use the Autoglym alloy wheel sealer, but this does little.

Has anyone else got this problem - and what solutions have you got (preferably under warranty)

The most annoying thing about my year old Avensis is that if I leave washing (specifically the wheels) for more than a week the front brakes pads give off so much dust that it superglues itself to the front alloys. The silver wheels turn black and no amount of acid seems to remove it without multiple sprays and scrubbing. It becomes etched on. The only thing that helps is a non stick scourer!! I use the Autoglym alloy wheel sealer, but this does little. Has anyone else got this problem - and what solutions have you got (preferably under warranty)

Use a better wheel sealant and the wheels will clean off easier.

A tin of Finish Kare 1000p high temp is readily available and will last for ages.fk10000p.gif

Yeah, this is why I want to see if those EBC GreenStuff pads really do generate less dust; I can clean mine and in a week they'll be filthy again!!

I had my wheels powdercoated when I bought them off PaulT and so far the lacquer coat seems to be resisting the worst of the brake dust but there are a few black blobs in the corners which are a pain to get out.

I did find this wheel waxing spray which you're supposed to spray on after cleaning them and that made it a bit easier to clean off the bulk of the brake dust but did nothing for the blobby tar+dust spots.

Funny this is mentioned, the new model has smoked wheels by design.

hi there I use carplans wounder wheels, make sure the wheels are cold before using and do not use on any chrome parts ie the bolts. It is a good idea to then wash the wheels with a car shampoo that contains a wax as this helps prevents the spidering effect that you see and as the guys have said a good wheel wax.

• 4 weeks later...

i have just used Wonder Wheels for the first time and am very impressed. 5 years worth of brake dust and tar,gum etc gone so i cannot recommend this enough. It took a couple of applications and between half and three quarters of an hour to do all of em but the end result is mint alloys :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links