Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tips For Easy Removing Of The Hexagonal Bolts From The Front Caliper

allfriends

I have read most of the topics related to brake pads changing but did not find any tips how to remove those 2 bolts. They are housed in a rubber boot with plastic cap. When removed the cap gives access to the bolt's head, but with the rubber boot still on, it is difficult to see the bolt and DW40 spray can not penetrate to loosen the thread.

The bolt has a round head with 7mm hexagonal profile in it and it matches my 7mm allen key. I have tried to unscrew the bolt by holding the allen key with my adjustable spanner but it does not move.

Should I try with longer arm or should I look for a pneumatic impact gun to unscrew the bl**dy things?

My car is 2002 Avensis 2.0 D4-D Estate with disk brakes both front and rear. The rear ones are strait forward 13mm headed bolts with easy access and 13mm socket takes them out in no time, but those front ones with the allen key heads are though cookies.

Anyone with similar experience please share your best solution to this problem.

The picture is not great quality but will give you an idea of the bolt's location and shape.

Thanks.

post-56290-0-98666100-1330611795_thumb.j

You need to invest in a set of these:

http://www.machinema...RC-hex%20socket

On the end of a ratchet head you should get enough leverage.

Be very careful with this type of fitting. The hex socket needs to be full depth before applying any force. They can easily round over. Best bet would be to apply plenty of WD40 to the tread area and allow time for it to penetrate. The threaded end is on the caliper support bracket (the bolts are quite long)

You need to invest in a set of these:

http://www.machinema...RC-hex%20socket

On the end of a ratchet head you should get enough leverage.

Be very careful with this type of fitting. The hex socket needs to be full depth before applying any force. They can easily round over. Best bet would be to apply plenty of WD40 to the tread area and allow time for it to penetrate. The threaded end is on the caliper support bracket (the bolts are quite long)

Thanks Gary, your quick reply is much appreciated. The tool I am using (see pic.) is very similar to the one suggested by you. I tried with the ratchet arm on the picture but it did not move so I took out the hexagonal bit and held it with an adjustable spanner instead. My adjustable is longer than the ratchet arm and I did not want to risk bending or snapping the ratchet, if something has to give, I prefer to bend or brake the hexagonal bit.

I will definitely follow your advice on spraying DW40 on the right spot, I have been spraying it on the bolt's head before (how clever :wacko: ) which was a waste of time.

post-56290-0-33190000-1330633910_thumb.j

You could try ringing it with a hammer as well. Place an extension bar on the head of the bolt and give it one sound thump - the shock waves can sometimes free off the seized parts enough to ease their extraction. Be careful not to damage the head though cos that will make life a whole lot worse.

Looks like you need a longer 3/8 rachet! Or get a 1/2" one with a reducer down to 3/8" to get some grunt behind it! One of the things I've found of use in the past is to get a hollow bar and use that on the ratchet to increse the lever power!... If all else fails then I have been known to weld a larger bolt onto somthing to get it off! But its going to be almost impossible with it being on or close to a caliper and pipes... So not recommended in this case mate.

An impact air or 18v Battery gun would be your best bet...

use a knuckle bar not a ratchet thats a surefire way to !Removed! knuckles when it fails. In all honesty i've never had one of those bolt heads round off just spray with wd put your allen key in and tap(smack) it with a lump hammer, just make sure you are hitting it in the right direction to slacken it or you will round it off.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links