Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

5efe Paseo/tercel Question,,,please Help!

DJ_Kovacs

Hello,

First off I would like to say that I am new here, and i have just picked up a 92 paseo a few months ago. My question is regarding the engine. I bought the car from an auction and it had a blown motor, threw the connecting rod through the block. The car itself is in pristine shape. I know that the motor is a distributed 5E-FE 1.5 litre. I live in canada and it is near impossible to get a motor for this car, at least not for a good price. I also know that the 95 and up tercels have the same motor, with the exception that it is not distributed anymore,and these motors are a dime a dozen up here. the distributor on the paseo comes out of the head,and it runs off of the cam. does the tercel head have this provision in it, and does the cam have that drive on it? if not,, my head is still salvageable, will that fit on the tercel 5E-FE, so I can run the distributor? Can someone please help me, I bought this car for my wife and she wants to drive it. I am a decent mechanic, but I am not too sure about toyota swaps.

Thank you for the help

Joe

i think the 95-97 tercels came with the distributed 5efe. i recommend checking on that. you can always try the states, and you could even try to get a 4efte swap done for around 2 grand (US) and you would be very fast :). i am pretty sure that the bottom ends are the same. you could use the head if you wanted to, but like i said, go to a junkyard and see if the 95, 96, and 97 tercel came with a distributor. let me know if i am wrong about that too. it might be a comprable price to just swap in the whole motor. good luck and let me know what you find out.

vince

thanks for the info, i will check it out, anybody else know more on this subject?

Joe

I have a '96 Tercel and just had a 4EFTE swap done. The 5E-FE engine that was in mine was DIS... no distributor. So, be careful when you are looking for the 5E-FE. Make sure it has a distributor on the side of the block. Also, that Paseo engine is going to be more powerful than the Tercel 5E-FE DIS.

Visit www.back-yard-productions.com and get you a 4EFTE. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links