Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird Steering Vibration

yaris781

Hi folks

Yesterday coming back from Scotland my car as ever drove pleasantly. As I approached some road works and started to slow down felt the steering wheel vibrate and judder as it slowed down. Funny thing is its the only time it did it. Since then it's been fine no problems at all.

Was it a hint that something may be needing attention soon?

The wheels were balanced recently and there's no vibration as you start speeding up

Just seems unusual to do it once

Any ideas folks?

Ash

Hi Ash,

If the vibration started when you touch the brakes, then suspect front pad wear, or disc wear. Check discs for uneven patterning or discolouration, and also for lateral run-out (warped disc). Generally speaking, ventilated (hollow core) discs don't warp.

If there's any tendency to pull to one side (loosen your grip on the steering wheel, and brake steadily), also suspect a seized brake caliper.

Check also for a worn steering joint: jack one front wheel off the ground (lift under the lower wishbone), and try to wobble it left and right (grip at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock).

If the vibration is on the over-run only, and NOT when you're braking, check out the front drive shaft joints for wear. Again, jack up under the wishbone, engage 1st gear, and rotate wheel back and forward. (There will be some play in the gearbox - ignore this.)

I'm sure some of the other guys will suggest other things to check.

Chris

Thanks for the info. It actually passed its MOT on Friday and there was no advisory mentioned. Apart from rear tyre near legal level. He actually commented that it's a well looked after Rav.

I'll get my neighbour to check as you mentioned (Broke my back few yrs ago so can't bend or crouch) and will make sure he checks everything.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links