Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr180 Cheerio....

Sharknose

Mine's has been achieving low 40's MPG most of the time since I bought it last Sept. This is on a mix of A-roads & the occasional dual carriageway. I rarely see any puffs of smoke from the exhaust - only after a week of commuting at low revs does the system regenerate. So I make a habit of accelerating hard in 2nd & 3rd gear a few times a week to give the engine a little workout. Since fitting a TDI tuning box, the overall MPG figs have improved a little but you still have to be light-footed to get anywhere near the SR's quoted 45.6 MPG. I wish it was possible to use Shell fuel all the time, but unfortunately there aren't any within 75 mls of me that sell V-power. I've used it twice now & I'm absolutely convinced it runs smoother & it achieved an extra 30 mls to the tank on both occasions. As it costs a bit more to buy, I would likely use normal diesel most of the time & use V-power for longer runs. As it is I use mostly Esso fuel - it actually matches the supermarkets on price locally !

My average mpg is 43 I use bp diesel . I have a speed buster tunning box fitted Which controls fueling and boost pressure both. I have to say I can't complain I'm quite happy with that as the new audi a4 s are doing the same mpg with a 20 engine

So, yesterday I had to drive from London City Airport back to the outskirts of Birmingham...140'ish mile trip. I thought I would see what I could get the Auris to achieve MPG-wise. Driving back up M1 and M6, I stuck to inside lane, constant 50-55mph using cruise control mainly, slipstreaming lorries when I could. Reset the average MPG at the start of the journey, and 144 miles later, I was amazed to average 60.6mpg! Usually the MPG on the trip computer is about 2MPG less than what I actually get, so maybe real MPG was slightly higher.

As usual, the range function on the trip computer bears no relation to reality...I went from just over 2/3rds of a tank to around half full after the trip above, yet the trip computer thinks I have about 80 miles until empty! Really, I don't know why they bothered fitting such a useless device!

Anyway, contrary to what I've found driving 'normally'...it seems that if you really try hard you can get the SR180 to return exceptional MPG. That said, I find that driving much above 55-60MPH causes the MPG to drop dramatically. I really couldn't see myself doing this kind of 'hypermile-ing' all the time as it added probably 30-40 minutes on to my journey time. Shame the SR180 can't return good at MPG at, say, an average of 70-75MPH when on cruise control!

Half thinking about getting rid of my 08 reg Auris sr180, bought it 8 month ago, never seen over 35 mpg and that still stands even after the head gasket went and had a new engine fitted, gotta say its a cracking car in every other aspect but the engine is a bit of a let down, never has the same amount of boost from one junction to the next! Granted I am 19 and yes it does get driven but even when granny shifting up the box revving no more than 1800rpm it's not economical at all!

I drive mine quite aggresively and mostly urban, and get 37mpg, compared to my 1.8 petrol NA alfa 159 thats 10mpg more, driven in the same way and the same roads, so i would say it does what it says on the tin ?

• 2 months later...

Had the SR180 over a year now and never seen less than 34 even over a quick 100 mile journey. Was regularly getting 37ish. Decided to try driving it around 1,000rpm on my commute where possible and now always see low 40s. I'm happy with that. I had a Golf GT TDI 140 and did a couple of thousand miles in that and only saw about 37 on my commute. Never got more than 32 from the Corolla T Sport. I didn't buy the SR180 for fuel economy - I bought it because it's one of the most powerful front drive diesel hatches. I always use Asda Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel like it tells you to. Hope some of this might help people get better results.

does it have more torque than all other auris size diesels, ie golf astra focus etc ? more than a 320d bmw ?

At 295 lb/ft of torque, the simple answer is yes :)

It never felt as though it had as much as on paper, I get more shove from my wife's A3 TDI 140 which has only 250lb/ft.

Also the sense of speed was not great, nothing like the T Sport Corolla, which was comparatively superior.

My ownership (3 years) returned 38.02mpg overall, calculated to the litre over this period.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links