Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Couple Of Questions About The Cvt Gearbox

Solidstate

Hello, UK Smart owner here looking to upgrade to a IQ3 with CVT.

I've just got a couple of questions about the auto gearbox and I can't seem to find the answers anywhere.

Does it have Hill Start Assist (thats the thing that prevents roll-back when setting off)

&

Does it have a crawler gear, either in reverse or forward?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you go and drive a Multidrive (CVT) and see how you like it yourself.

It will not mater if you try a 1.3 or a 1.0

Mine have not had 'hill hold' (hill start assist),

but the car i am driving now which is not an iQ has, and its a PITA imo.

The hand brake is perfect for stopping from rolling back,

as is holding it on the accelerator as i have done with every auto i have ever driven.

I dont know of any vehicle with crawlers gears in reverse over than 4x4's/offroaders.

You can reverse as slowly as you need to with the iQ, if you feel it is too fast, maybe pull on the hand brake a little while reversing, then remember to let it off before continuing.

The iQ CVT has 'D', 'S', & 'B'.

'B' is very low and perfect as a crawler gear moving forwards and on steep decents or even steep slow speed climbs.

Almost as good as a crawler gear on a 4x4 imo.

Have fun trying a car if you can get the chance.

george

Many thanks for that. I had a crawler reverse gear on a car I rented in Florida many years ago...and not having driven a proper auto before or since, I just assumed it was standard. It enables the driver to reverse by using the brake pedal alone, with no need to touch the throttle.

I like hill hold, having had it on the Smart...but I understand that it is a personal preference.

I assume that holding an auto on an incline using the throttle, is as wearing to the clutch on an auto as it is on a manual.

I see what you mean now.

The tick over is slow enough, you can let it move back just covering the brake and without really needing to touch the throttle (accelerator) & you can move forward smoothly in the same way..

Very easy to move in and out a parking space.

(i have driven Smarts, the iQ Multidrive will not cause you any problems, it is a delight to use IMO)

There is not a Clutch and as i said the hand brake hold it fine, but the IQ will not roll back on you when moving your foot from the foot brake to the accelerator.

(i only have one foot, so that is important to me, as i can not drive autos 2 footed)

I think you will be very pleased with how an iQ Multidrive performs.

It is my all time favourite gearbox and i have had every variety of autobox in the last 35 years.

george

Thanks George. Apologies for the confusion....but we got there in the end. It probably doesn't help with me mixing motorcycle, and car terminology together. Thanks for the insight.

I have a 1.33 multidrive and it's fine for hill starts. Much better than a manual gearbox. The gearbox works great in traffic too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links