Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Good Are These Mpvs

Maintenance, Endurance and Day to Day Use of Lucida, Estima, Previa

As we all know that these cars are IMPORT cars. Since I have decided to by one (1995 Lucida J-Top, 2.2 Turbo Diesel) many of my friends are trying to stop me for the reasons being they are expensive to buy, run and insure.

Their spare parts are difficult to get and expensive and often takes 2 to 3 weeks to arrive from Japan. Almost all the insurance companies do not provide insurance for these particular cars. Simply they are import and have 8 seats.

Are they all correct? Many people stick to Ford Galaxy or Vauxhall Zafira purely they are cheaper to run (petrol and spare parts) and easy to get it fixed!

I myself found very difficult to obtain an insurance quotation and the cheapest third party comes over £550 with more that 5 year no claim bonus. I also have got to mention that 10 out 9 insurance companies have refused to insure.

I would be grateful if any body contributes to these matters with real experience.

I love the design of Toyota Lucida with J top. It is like a space car well advanced in design compared to many of its competitors including new Previa models. Many many thanks.

I considered a UK previa but they don't do diesels there aint to many old ones with aircon, let alone dual aircon, also the Jap ones are generally in better condition for the age due to the enviroment out in Japan, Ok you do need to underseal the imports before you drive them in a typical UK winter with the amount of salt on the roads, but other then that you are pretty much OK I talked to a guy I know from a motorbike forum who works for Toyota and apparently Toyota UK are happy to work on Jap import versions, although I would tend to use the import speciallist mechanics

I've had mine a year. I had a teething problem with the auxiliary drive shaft but that was replaced under warranty. I bought it at 90,000km and it needed a belt change at 100,000km which cost £250. A "service" (oil and filter) cost £30 (Actually cheaper than doing it myself!!) and although a manual will tell you this is needed every 3,000 miles popular opinion is you could leave this twice as long which puts it into the same catagory as most cars on the road.

Toyota dealer oil filter £18 (since found motor factor supplier at £10) Oil at £15 5w-30w is recomended. A doddle to do yourself.

Other than that a bulb at 75p I've had no other costs. I do 25,000km a year commuting on a mixture of m-way, dual carriageway and town and thoroughly enjoy it.

After the Volvo V40 I had previously I would say prices were comparable for spares both at dealership level and motor factors.

Lots of part are the same as the previa and the engine is the same as the deisel picnic sold in this country so the dealer should be able to get.

You're special fittings bells buzzers and flashy bits you could probably manage without for a while if they did need importing and took 2-3 weeks but I think you'll find you can do a lot better.

There are plenty of web based companies you can see prices for things on to gain a deeper understanding.

Good looks, 8 seats, a pram size boot, loads of extra's tried and tested reliability convinced me. You're other choices are pants in comparison. Recently drove a 2litre deisel "turbo" Zafira and was duly unimpressed. Spoken to galaxy owners who have had the priveledge of being wafted about in my Lucida and they are dismissive of their own ford based experiences.

You can expect 30 to the gallon if you drive "normally" my last fill up calculated at 29.6.mpg.

If I could sum up owning an Emina in a word it would be "smug"

I would like specially to thank Big Ed for a compressible and lengthy information that he has provided. I would also like to thank blobstrom for his advice as well. On the other hand small thanks to peterc though he has encourage me to buy one, he did not say why?

Over all I found this Toyota Club is very encouraging and helpful may I say better than the dealer itself many times.

I intent to buy this MPV and already paid the deposit:

1995 M TOYOTA LUCIDA 2.2 TURBO DIESEL AUTO 4 Door MPV

METALLIC GREEN, Central Locking, Electric Windows, Sunroof, Electric Sunroof, Electric Mirrors, ABS, Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Alloy Wheels, TOYOTA LUCIDA J-TOP VERSION, 2.2 TURBO DIESEL, AUTO, LTD EDITION, HIGH ROOF, POWER STEERING DUAL AIR CON, 8 SEATER WITH SWIVEL SEATS, FULLY LOADED, TWIN SUN ROOFS, COMPREHENSIVE WARRANTY INCLUDED.

Hopefully it will arrive in the middle of April and will be available to own it at the end of April. How does it sound? Has it got all what is expected of these vehicles?

I was told that like most of the imports it has not got full service history the way we understand it in UK. However the dealer provides 6-month warranty and promised to do the servicing, cam belt change, MOT.

I have pretty made my mind up to buy this vehicle with your help and encouragement and am ever so grateful.

I know I usually write rather long messages because without owning one you naturally would have too many questions. Could any one also help me towards completing the accessories. Lets assume that it will not come with curtains or hot/cool box or even a parking sensor. How do you complete the accessories. Do you find them really necessary?

Thank you again for all whom will contribute and spends their valuable times.

Samil

:D

Mine has electric curtains, when I tell my friends at work the usual sexual micky taking starts. My only concern to you would be and to be honest I don't think it really is would be the roof height, mine has a plain roof and is approx 6 feet high, Im not sure how much a moon roof adds, Im just thinking about getting into supermarkets etc.. I know gatwick airport is 2 metres high so that gives me a good 10cm spare, just something to think about

On the other hand small thanks to peterc though he has encourage me to buy one, he did not say why?

Well mate, all i was saying was that there was an alternative to think about. You did not say that you were preferred a Diesal. A UK car also may have helped you with regards insurance as well.

Hope you car aint been clocked !!!!!

Do you always buy a car without seeing it ?

Peter

My insurance with direct line is £340 ish fully comp with direct line, my renault 21 savanna 7 seater which is worth about £800 was £290 fully comp

Hi,

I am new to the forum so help me out here. I have a Toyota Lucida 1994 model

import and it did not come with a hot/cool box, does anyone know where can I

get one from or any other accessories that I might in future. Any website might

be usefull or other contact details.

Thanking in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a lucida estima 1994 got it insured for £280 from liverpool victoria thats fully comp for me and the missus!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have had the same problem and decided to buy the prvia 2.4petrol which I am more then pleased with avg 29.8mpg cheap to insure admiral £400pa fully comp

ed

Hi,

I am new to the forum so help me out here. I have a Toyota Lucida 1994 model

import and it did not come with a hot/cool box, does anyone know where can I

get one from or any other accessories that I might in future. Any website might

be usefull or other contact details.

Thanking in advance.

Try Halfords or eBay, theres a load of 12v coolboxes although you may need to make sure you have a 12v socket in the rear, the propor Lucida one I think is part of the aircon system

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links