Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fog Light Fault - Any Advice Very Much Appreciated

Uncle Chenzo

Hi there,

I have an issue with my fog lights.

When i switch on my headlights, my fog light automatically comes on and i have to push the button to switch it off. It has failed its NCT (National Car Test - Ireland )(MOT - UK) as a result.

Anybody have any ideas where to start looking. All other external lights are working, although the inner boot light is not working, could this be it?

Car is a 1996 Carina E TD Estate.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

regards,

Chenzo.

• 1 month later...

Hi there dont know if you got this sorted yet, but mine recently developed the same, I was doing some re-wireing of the stereo and took off the centre console above to give me room, I saw the 3 switches above were filthy so I removed them and gave them a good clean, I put the 'fog' light switch back in and after a few days the phantom light came on and off evertime I flicked on the parking lights.

Scratch Head?

I noticed a few days later that what looked like part of the switch on the carpet, I removed the switch again and sure enough it was the sense resistor from the switch I did a quick fix with the solder gun since I could't find a scrap one at the time and it works great mostly, id say thats your issue, the sense resistor detects wheather the lights are in 'park' or dip/high beams, start with the switch this should be a cheap fix if not then its a problem with the light switch on the stalk, as far a wiring goes there fairly solid in these cars let me know if you get it fixed !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links