Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Release Bearing

Jimmy_Mac

Hi guys, I am after a bit of advice about clutches, I have done a bit of searching and it seams the Aygo clutch is not the strongest piece of kit in the world.

Its actually my sisters car, is a 2006 model not to sure on the mileage (I will find out) she drives like a girl but does a lot of miles in traffic and never puts it in neutral when stopped. When the clutch pedal is pressed you get a rough rumbling noise. I assume the release bearing is buggered?

I am fairly handy mechanically wise I own a few classic minis and can happily rebuild a mini engine and gearbox.

My main question is (before I buy a Haynes manual) is replacing the release bearing fairly straight forward? My main concern is there any electrical adjustment/ecu problems I would face?

It seams there is 2 clutch sizes 180mm and 190mm, from a small amount of reading on this forum it sounds like the 190 is a upgrade? Second question is if I am replacing the bearing is it worth doing the whole clutch as they seam to go quite often?

Any help/input will be much appreciated.

Cheers

James

Hi Jimmy.

Not done an Aygo clutch myself but have done several other cars.

It's a bit of a pain on an Aygo.

If you are doing the release bearing, the work involved in getting to it makes

replacing the complete clutch a no-brainer.

Buy the manual, you'll need it. You will also need new good quality gearbox oil as you have to

pop the driveshafts out to remove the gearbox. After you have got to the stage when the gearbox

is out, it's only another 6 or 8 bolts to change the clutch cover.

Swap for the stronger 190mm version. It's not particularly the size that's important, the 180mm original ones

used to fail on the 3 srtaps between the inner & outer parts of the cover plate.

Correct clutch cable adjustment is also very important after the swap is complete.

No ECU / electrical problems if the car is a manual.

Letus know how you go on.

Ian.

Cheers Ian, Much appreacheted, I will buy a Haynes and price up parts, may even take some picks as I go.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

It is advisable to replace the whole clutch to be honest. The bearing may have started rubbing into the clutch cover which weakens this area and will cause future problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links