Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1998 Avensis Cranks But Does Not Fire Up, No Spark At The Ht Leads

kotikeni

Avensis will not fire up, no Spark on HT leads.

Hi

After a fair run without a fault I drove my 1998 Avensis and parked it as normal. After some 4hrs I tried to start it and the starter was cranking but the engine did not fire up. I checked for a spark on all the HT leads and was nothing. The coils have the 12V supply when key is turned on. I also tested my HT coils together with the leads on a friend's Avensis and his engine fired up OK. The RAC guy that checked it was convinced that it was a crank shaft position sensor fault as the rev counter was not bouncing up as the engine cranked. I purchased that and fitted it but the engine did not fire. All fuses have been checked and non faulty. My OBDII scanner flashes code 12 on the engine management light and that relates to Rev counter. I must say I wish to keep this lovely motor running but now I am in unknown territory and asking for help on what to do without incurring dealership prices . Which other tests can I do or which module can I check and how?

Please help I am desperate.

would it be related to immobiliser ? might security system acting, and need check if it reads imobiliser from key (i dont know how to do it), also check timing belt. check if it not slipped.

just my 2 cents.

Sounds like ur keys lost its code .common on this model .fully charge ur bat and cross two pins on the dlc3 connector where you plug in your scanner .top row four in from left and bottom row four in from right and leave ign on for thirty mins .hope this helps

Hi

The timing belt, tensioner and water p/p was only changed a couple of weeks ago, so I covered over 500miles until this situation. Regarding the immobiliser, if the key remote locks and unlocks as well as seemingly arm and disarm the immobiliser remotely, would that still present as an immobiliser problem?

toyota diag tech 1, I will try your suggestion this evening and will feed back. Kindly confirm that I need to short these pins for thirty minutes without plugging in the scanner. What do I do after the 30 mins?

Unlocking and locking the doors only arms and disarms the antitheft ecm not the immobiliser ecm which cuts injection and spark when the engine is cranked with a unrecognised key .yes u need to cross theese pins for tirty mins wit ign left on

Hi

The timing belt, tensioner and water p/p was only changed a couple of weeks ago, so I covered over 500miles until this situation. Regarding the immobiliser, if the key remote locks and unlocks as well as seemingly arm and disarm the immobiliser remotely, would that still present as an immobiliser problem?

toyota diag tech 1, I will try your suggestion this evening and will feed back. Kindly confirm that I need to short these pins for thirty minutes without plugging in the scanner. What do I do after the 30 mins?

remote door lock is separate from immobiliser.

Yes remote door lock is seperate from immobiliser .this model is prone to loosing the code between the key and immobiliser ecm .in order to repair this you need to cross tc and cg with a wire and leave the ign on for tirthy minutes.then simply remove the wire turn ign off then start the vehicle .trust me ive done this hundreds of times wrkn for one of the biggest toyota dealers in the country as a master tech

Thanks ,toyota diag tech 1 for the advice above, I have been away for much of the week and did not have a chance to try it out. Forgive my ignorance, but when you said top row, slot 4 from the left, do you count the slots with contacts only or without contacts as well. On closer looking I noticed that the top row has only 4 slots with electrical contacts across the dlc3 connector . The same question goes for the bottom row, slot 4 from the right. The last time I tried it only the air bag light was flushing continously. When tried it to day I had the engine and air bag lights flashing continuously while the abs one was intermitent

Kindly clarify for me.

You count all pins incl the ones wit out it will only wrk one way and engine light shud be flashing

Hi

toyota diag tech 1, I have linked the points you refered to and the engine light was flashing through the 30 minute period. I then removed the link and cranked the engine. Sadly it still does not fire up, The spark test failed . Just wondering if I could have replaced the faulty crank shaft sensor with another faulty one. Kindly point me to any other tests I can do, as I am convinced this can still be done without incurring the dealership prices. Many thanks for the advice so far.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links