Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternator Belt Gone

zoom jones

The alternator belt on our 4.2 petrol Rav went today. Other than the alternator giving no power or charging the batter and having no power steering are there any other problems with driving it to a garage for repair? I.e. does it drive the water pump or anything else, assuming not given the cam chain?

ETA: Just done a bit more searching and this page would appear to indicate it does drive the water pump http://www.2carpros.com/diagrams/toyota/rav4/2002

Ours went a while back & it was a full-on RAC recovery job (Club Toyota). You'll probably find, particularly with a petrol 4.2, that the little Battery won't have enough juice to travel any sort of distance without charge. As far as I'm aware, the water pump is run off the serpentine belt also. So, no charge, no power steering, no cooling for engine.

Also the belt is pretty pricey (circa £60 plus) and will need to be ordered probably, so it could take a day or two. Having said that, it is a big strong beggar so "alternator belt" doesn't really do it justice. It'll also last something like 8 or 9 years; ours did.

Ours went a while back & it was a full-on RAC recovery job (Club Toyota). You'll probably find, particularly with a petrol 4.2, that the little battery won't have enough juice to travel any sort of distance without charge. As far as I'm aware, the water pump is run off the serpentine belt also. So, no charge, no power steering, no cooling for engine.

Also the belt is pretty pricey (circa £60 plus) and will need to be ordered probably, so it could take a day or two. Having said that, it is a big strong beggar so "alternator belt" doesn't really do it justice. It'll also last something like 8 or 9 years; ours did.

Good grief Jamesy....zatrite that price....? Just been looking into wife's recently cleaned engine bay, and the "non drive side" (i.e. the side ye can see) starting to look a bit perished. Suppose that's attractive pigeons (fair doos...) after nearly eight years....Kingo here I cometh.

Big Kev

My belt back in 2008 (water pump went so changed it as a matter of course) was £47.65 + VAT. Part no. 90916-02598 but do check with whoever you buy it from.

Ours went a while back & it was a full-on RAC recovery job (Club Toyota). You'll probably find, particularly with a petrol 4.2, that the little battery won't have enough juice to travel any sort of distance without charge. As far as I'm aware, the water pump is run off the serpentine belt also. So, no charge, no power steering, no cooling for engine.

Good grief Jamesy....zatrite that price....? Just been looking into wife's recently cleaned engine bay, and the "non drive side" (i.e. the side ye can see) starting to look a bit perished. Suppose that's attractive pigeons (fair doos...) after nearly eight years....Kingo here I cometh.

Big Kev

'Fraid so, BK. £43.62 less 10% disc (because of age of car) + VAT = £47.11. But fitting was £65! - that's the bit I remembered.... Mind you, I wouldn't have fancied doing it myself given all the bits that it drives and the adjustments/tolerances involved. And after 9 years, it's not bad.

More annoying was all the f**king about getting Club Toyota / AA out, sorting the courtesy car, waiting for the fix, then getting it back. Having said that, the Club T membership was money well spent in that case given that the belt let go with wife, kids & grand-daughter on board - it was nice to just make a phone call & then let the system look after everything, even if it did take time that could have been spent better.

The other RAV, the 3-dr, is 54-reg & has 45K miles up now so at the next service I'm going to have the belt replaced anyway. It's still cheaper than a breakdown, especially if it's at an inconvenient hour/location.

Big Kev

'Fraid so, BK. £43.62 less 10% disc (because of age of car) + VAT = £47.11. But fitting was £65! - that's the bit I remembered.... Mind you, I wouldn't have fancied doing it myself given all the bits that it drives and the adjustments/tolerances involved. And after 9 years, it's not bad.

More annoying was all the f**king about getting Club Toyota / AA out, sorting the courtesy car, waiting for the fix, then getting it back. Having said that, the Club T membership was money well spent in that case given that the belt let go with wife, kids & grand-daughter on board - it was nice to just make a phone call & then let the system look after everything, even if it did take time that could have been spent better.

The other RAV, the 3-dr, is 54-reg & has 45K miles up now so at the next service I'm going to have the belt replaced anyway. It's still cheaper than a breakdown, especially if it's at an inconvenient hour/location.

Me too Jim....belt will be ordered next week....looks a tad suspecty....Kingo's always threatened to give me a belt.

Eurocarparts (ECP) stock them for around £22 and I think they have a 20% offer on as well, these are quality Contitech belts. ECP show a couple of belts on their website for my car, you would need call them and give them your exact car details to get the right one.

I believe Contitech are OEM manufacturers to the likes of Audi, I have used them on my Golf and they are excellent.

Last time I looked I thought it was a 10 minute job to do a belt on a VVTI. (See attached PDF). Route the belt then with a long socket wrench and socket very slowly compress the tensioner while slipping the last part of the belt over the water pump (as it's pulley is smooth). A special extension tool is indicated, but when I tried compressing the tensioner a slim socket and long wrench seemed to clear everything.

Replacement.pdf

Alternatively, get the belt details and find your local Bearing supplier. They will sell Contitech belts. I'm fortunate to visit mine alot due to my day job. I got the belt (Contitech) for £18.00 and put it on for him. Access isn't too bad.

Gates belt at £20.00 delivered on eBay.

Big Kev

I was servicing the RAV 4.2 today and decided to change the V belt as its getting a bit old.

Picked one up at ECP for £17.23. Points to note.

1) You definitely need a good breaker bar and socket to compress the tensioner, as it needs a lot of force. Mine was 2 feet long :D

2) You really need a helper to remove and install the belts while you hold the tensioner compressed.

3) Access is very easy if you remove the drivers wheel and engine cover.

I am not sure that this is a ten minute job any more, its more like an hour or best combined with changing your oil filter.

I was servicing the RAV 4.2 today and decided to change the V belt as its getting a bit old.

Picked one up at ECP for £17.23. Points to note.

1) You definitely need a good breaker bar and socket to compress the tensioner, as it needs a lot of force. Mine was 2 feet long :D

2) You really need a helper to remove and install the belts while you hold the tensioner compressed.

3) Access is very easy if you remove the drivers wheel and engine cover.

I am not sure that this is a ten minute job any more, its more like an hour or best combined with changing your oil filter.

You refer to "belts" in the plural, Ian....is there more than wan....? Please naw...!!!

Big Kev

No, singular, one belt, that was the after service beer(s) affecting my typing finger.

I think this Toyota design is stupid. On my VW you can compress the tensioner and lock in in place, thus one person can change the belt. With this design I needed both hands on the wrench to keep it compressed and there is no way of locking it. Plus the wrench gets in the way if you were trying to replace the belt from above.

However, its a very easy job with a helper if you already have the engine cover and wheel off for an oil change.

The old belt was definitely showing its age and needed changing, but had no signs of imminent failure.

Note also, on their website EuroCarParts list two Contitech belts for a 4.2 RAV without stating why.

This is because they stock versions for cars with and without AC.

For my 2004 4.2 1AZ-FE with AC version the Contitech part no was 7PK1933.

Ian

No, singular, one belt, that was the after service beer(s) affecting my typing finger.

I think this Toyota design is stupid. On my VW you can compress the tensioner and lock in in place, thus one person can change the belt. With this design I needed both hands on the wrench to keep it compressed and there is no way of locking it. Plus the wrench gets in the way if you were trying to replace the belt from above.

However, its a very easy job with a helper if you already have the engine cover and wheel off for an oil change.

The old belt was definitely showing its age and needed changing, but had no signs of imminent failure.

Note also, on their website EuroCarParts list two Contitech belts for a 4.2 RAV without stating why.

This is because they stock versions for cars with and without AC.

For my 2004 4.2 1AZ-FE with AC version the Contitech part no was 7PK1933.

Ian

Precise info as usual and many thanks, but what "cover" do you refer to that is removed for oil change on a 4.2, or do you mean the inner wheel arch liner that's off to gain access to belt pulleys...? Wife's petrol 4.2 has immediate under access to oil drain plug and filter, unlike the 4.3 which is easier done (I am assured....) with the splash cover offsky.

Sorry for nuisansicality,

Big Kev.....edit....Gates Belt Part Number ALSO 7PK1933, so thanks for confirmation.

Yes the inner wheel arch liner.

As I use a strap wrench to undo my oil filter, I have always jacked up the front wheel, then removed the wheel and inner wheel arch to get better access. If you own a oil filter socket I guess this would not be necessary.

This particular service I was also changing the Transfer box oil so I definitely needed access to the fill hole via the inner wheel arch.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links