Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird Security Problem With Gen 7 Celica

StivH

Hi all,

I really hate posting asking for help having just signed up, but I hope you'll forgive me - desperation and all that :-(

I've got a 2003 Gen7 Celica 140, and this morning, I've been presented with a security problem that I'm struggling with. I have had a bit of a search, both here and generally via Google, but haven't turned up anything that looks the same. I just wondered whether or not anyone else has seen this, or has any ideas, please?

Basically, the car won't unlock when I use the keyfob, so I tried the spare fob. Still no joy. Even if I try re-locking the car, there's no acknowledgment from the alarm system (indicators don't flash, no mechanical noise as locks operate).

However, the kicker for me is that it won't even unlock when I put the key in the doorlock and turn it! The key turns smoothly, so I don't think it's a mechanical fault with the lock. I tried the passenger door as well, and that doesn't work either.

Has anybody seen this before? Has anyone any ideas for how I get into the car to try to fix the problem (ideally at this point, I don't want to involve bricks or broken glass!)

Any help very gratefully received!

Cheers

Steve

Hi all,

I really hate posting asking for help having just signed up, but I hope you'll forgive me - desperation and all that :-(

I've got a 2003 Gen7 Celica 140, and this morning, I've been presented with a security problem that I'm struggling with. I have had a bit of a search, both here and generally via Google, but haven't turned up anything that looks the same. I just wondered whether or not anyone else has seen this, or has any ideas, please?

Basically, the car won't unlock when I use the keyfob, so I tried the spare fob. Still no joy. Even if I try re-locking the car, there's no acknowledgment from the alarm system (indicators don't flash, no mechanical noise as locks operate).

However, the kicker for me is that it won't even unlock when I put the key in the doorlock and turn it! The key turns smoothly, so I don't think it's a mechanical fault with the lock. I tried the passenger door as well, and that doesn't work either.

Has anybody seen this before? Has anyone any ideas for how I get into the car to try to fix the problem (ideally at this point, I don't want to involve bricks or broken glass!)

Any help very gratefully received!

Cheers

Steve

OK, so I've got into the car now. The passenger door opened for me, but I can't get the alarm disarmed (have replaced Battery in the key fob).

I can start the engine, and it drives alarm free, so it's just the 30 seconds after I open the door. Off to the workshop with me then.

Thanks to those who looked at the OP; I'll update when I get it fixed.

Cheers

Steve

Aaand, another update. The keyfob works perfectly fine, just not outside my house, so it looks like some kind of RFI problem that's started since last night :wacko:

Does anyone have any experience of troubleshooting this type of thing?

Cheers

Steve

OK, so the problem went away after 1 day, and now it's working normally.

Just thought I'd update on what I found out about the whole RF interference topic. My remote locking/alarm arming was working everywhere I tried it except outside my house.

I spoke to an RF engineer who I know, and he had an ask around of his colleagues, but there's no real solution. He said that domestic 433MHz stuff should not be transmiting constantly, or at sufficiently high power to block my remote, but that Tetra ias used by emergency services is on a close enough frequency range (415 - 430) that if there's some testing going on nearby involving high outputs, it could be enough to "spill" over into other nearby frequencies, and that's the best suggestion he can come up with at this point, especially if it goes away after a few hours.

So, it's not a solution really, but I wanted to offer it up into the pool of experience in case it's of use to anyone.

Cheers

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update on what I found out about the whole RF interference topic. My remote locking/alarm arming was working everywhere I tried it except outside my house.

I spoke to an RF engineer who I know, and he had an ask around of his colleagues, but there's no real solution. He said that domestic 433MHz stuff should not be transmiting constantly, or at sufficiently high power to block my remote, but that Tetra ias used by emergency services is on a close enough frequency range (415 - 430) that if there's some testing going on nearby involving high outputs, it could be enough to "spill" over into other nearby frequencies, and that's the best suggestion he can come up with at this point, especially if it goes away after a few hours.

So, it's not a solution really, but I wanted to offer it up into the pool of experience in case it's of use to anyone.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers

Steve

I'm glad somebody else has experienced this - I once had exactly the same problem with a previous car (Volvo) where at one particular location my key fob stopped working; and crucially, my mates key fob (Merc) parked next to mine, didn't work either. Ten minutes later, and about 2 miles away, both worked fine. Never had a problem previously or since at that location though. Very eerie experience to find that your remote is being jammed!

hi had the same problem at work toyota mansfield no fobs working at rear of premises was rf inteferance contacted post office and it stopped after 2 weeks only happens now and again they couldnt say where it came from

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links