Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bought A Rav4....some Questions

paulnanrod

Hi everyone.....

Yesterday I bought a 2004 Rav4 XT4 VVTI. So far I'm very happy with this, but there are a couple of bits I have questions about:

1 - The stereo - it has buttons for Satnav on it - is this a standard head unit that is wired up if the option is there, or is it likely mine will have Satnav in?

2 - When on the test drive the head unit was cutting off and the screen going blank. This wasn't too much of an issue, as used as a bargaining tool, but the garage said they will courier a new unit to me next week (I live a distance away). This has seemed to rectify itself on the journey home - does anyone know if this is a common fault or issue? It seems like a loose wire to me, so was going to check that out, but as it rectified itself haven't looked - the unit number is 58812

3 - the wheels don't look to be the standard XT4 wheels (which I prefer but the price was too good). I haven't seen them before and not sure if they are from an earlier Rav4 model - they have Toyota centre caps and look right on the car, just wasn't sure - I think I've attached the picture - has anyone seen them before and know when they're from?

4 - the plastic body coloured rub strips on the doors and wheel cover look faded and have lost some of the shine - does anyone know a product or way of bringing them back out to their original shiny finish?

Thanks in advance for any help. This is my second Rav4 - previous one was a 1998 3 door Freesport that I had 2 years ago, but with a baby on the way the 5 door newer one is the more sensible one. It's taken this long to justify getting another!

Paul

post-84274-0-08335800-1336637050_thumb.p

Treat the plastics like the body panels when it comes to polishing the except GO VERY GENTLY AS IT IS EASY TO RUB THROUGH PAINT ON PLASTICS !!

Use a light cut polish and increase if it does not do the trick......

I like the wheels .. Whether they are standard or not I don't know...

mines got the sat nav buttons as well and yes that was my 1st question and no it doesn't have sat nav. its just the same unit with or without satnav installed. probably is just a wire, mine never packed up (and its a 2003 rav)although I've changed the radio to one with blutooth etc, but i've now lost the temp and mpg computer.

your wheels could have been an option when it was new , but they certainly look in better nick than my OME ones.

charlie is you expert on cleaning and polishing,

For sat nav, look under the drivers seat, if you see a box that looks a bit like a dvd player then you should have sat nav fitted

Thanks for the replies everyone. I took the wheel cover off fully (only took it off to check tread when buying it) and there is the original (or what I know as the original) XT4 wheel under there, so the previous owner(s) must have changed for some reason. Prefer the original ones, but not an issue.

With the Satnav, there isn't a disc drive under the seat, so guess the buttons are there for show.

Thanks for the advice on the plastics - when/if we get a dry day, I'll get to work!

One last thing - where the rear fog light switch is there appears to be an after market switch put there - the only thing in the manual is to boost the heating, but the switch doesn't match the pic in there. Any idea what this could be for as it doesn't appear to do anything that I can see, and I know nothing electrical so am reluctant to start stripping bits down?

post-84274-0-51318600-1336649783_thumb.j

And Charlie - sorry to be a pain. The plastic looks dull, as does the spare wheel cover. Could this be a finish that has come off, or should polishing it bring it back up shiny?

Your 58812 unit is showing the obvious (and well documented on here) signs of shutting down, so would require a new Main Processor Unit which is available supplied and fitted for about £90.00ish !!!!!!

Make sure your seller is true to his word, but they come up on eBay semi-regularly.

Big Kev

It's working fine now though or is that a sign that it's ok then goes?

It's working fine now though or is that a sign that it's ok then goes?

Wife's did that for weeks Paul....it's a binner I'm afraid, unless you find a very loose wire / connector when you go to replace (which is very simple btw....)

Big Kev

And Charlie - sorry to be a pain. The plastic looks dull, as does the spare wheel cover. Could this be a finish that has come off, or should polishing it bring it back up shiny?

Its never a pain Mate.. Paint sits different on plastic and sometimes is more prone to dulling.. It also is prone to coming away faster or cutting faster if you like because the heat build up is much faster, Heat is Your enemy when polishing...

All You can do is try a little polish and see what the results are... Once bright a sealant will be the best bet to prolong the dulling from returning.. Use a light cut polish and go up in cut but only if its really needed... Slow is better on plastics...

After finally getting a day dry enough I've had a proper look. It seems like there has been a scratch on it and a previous owner/garage has polished the top layer or lacquer off - seems worse than it looked when buying it (don't want to admit excitement took over).

Any idea what to do with this?

Thanks

After finally getting a day dry enough I've had a proper look. It seems like there has been a scratch on it and a previous owner/garage has polished the top layer or lacquer off - seems worse than it looked when buying it (don't want to admit excitement took over).

Thanks

No question about it. If the lacquer is struck through it will need re painting .....

Thanks

No question about it. If the lacquer is struck through it will need re painting .....

.......commonly known to us car polishing sphincti as "lacquer knacker...."

Big Kev

Its looking like a couple of dry days so wanting to start on the paintwork. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which products to use?

My aim is to fill in as many of the little faint scratches and bring the paintwork up to a decent shine. Any suggestions as to what to use?

Thanks again

Paul

Its looking like a couple of dry days so wanting to start on the paintwork. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which products to use?

My aim is to fill in as many of the little faint scratches and bring the paintwork up to a decent shine. Any suggestions as to what to use?

Thanks again

Paul

Main question here Paul.....are you doing by hand or Machine Polisher....? This to save Charlie asking, as if you are doing by HAND, I am not experienced enough to recommend any specific products, Suffice it to say that you will get the part of Popeye in the next feature film if not using a machine to get rid / fill in scratches.....you will have arms like Charlie....!!!!

Big Kev

I am planning on buying a machine........I wouldn't have the stamina/patience/will to do it by hand!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links