Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 Corolla T3 D4D

mika_98

Hello all,

My brother has seen the above car for sale with a local trader. Its a 2.0 and has 95k on the clock. Two previous owners and seems to be well maintained. Will check the paperwork soon.

Having come from a 'old school' Jap performance cars and then VAG/German cars, my knowledge on some of the newer Jap cars is limited. Hoping to find some info online and thought I'd post on here.

First of all, any common faults or issues to look out for? I'm guessing this one is turbocharged. Any known problems with the turbo system? As for the engine, I believe this is the 114hp version. Should I consider other engines too?

With certains VAGs I've had in the past, over time, issues came up relating to the clutch and dual mass flywheel. Just wondering what kind of clutch the Corolla comes fitted with.

Any other pointers or advice would be great!

Thanks! smile.gif

it is a diesel have a look at the turbo and try to find out whether they were city used or mainly long journeys.

my work colleague has had his previa with a 2l diesel running for ages currently has 280000 motorway miles and not a single niggle apart from the general maintenance.

Hey

I'm not very mechanical so I'll just give you my experience.

I have a 04 2.0 D4D (Think it's a 116hp) and it has 167k miles on the clock and still runs like a dream, I've owned it for three years and have only had to pay for services and a timing belt change. Nothing else.

I got it very cheap, previous owner did not treat it at all well, but I cleaned it up, put a few wrongs right and it hasn't cost me a penny since.

Just avoid dodgy diesel.

They are a great car.

Yeah, the older gen Toyota D4Ds, esp. the 1.4 and 2.0, are practically indestructible. Most common problem is the EGR getting jammed open with soot, but that's just a sign the car has never been taken on the motorway :lol:

I can't remember the last time someone posted anything about turbo failure; The D4D's seem to have very well engineered turbo units (Unlike BMW! :lol: That does have me worried about the next gen Toyota diesels as they will be using BMW diesel engines... :unsure:).

There have been cases, but it's rare and usually user error - e.g. people not letting it cool down after a long motorway run.

The Corolla pre-dates DMFs so shouldn't be anything to worry about there.

The only thing I don't like about the 2.0 D4D is the clutch pedal feels like it belongs in an artic lorry! :lol: So heavy!

It's great for launches but so tiring in stop-start traffic. I keep joking my brother's left leg is going to be twice the size of his right :lol: (As it is he who owns the 'rolla).

But 'tis a lovely car - Feels super solid, has nice predictable handling and is a nice comfy ride; Much nicer than my Yaris for long journeys! Pretty cheap to run too; My brother gets ~55mpg out of it despite bombing it up and down the motorway on his commute :lol:

Thanks for all the input guys. Seems like a real solid and reliable car so the hunt is on :) For a good one anyway!

I was told about them clogging up quite bad with carbon/soot. I guess thats common with any diesel that hasnt been driven hard often. Any signs to look out for with one which has been pootled around in?

Lol I found the clutch to be lovely and light too. Maybe coming from a Golf (known to have heavy clutches), the Corolla clutch was light work *checks left leg*

I'll report back on how I get on with my search

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links