Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Xenon Lights Metallic Tape Trick

Paul Gailey

I suffer with a dimly lit xenon headlamp on a 2005 D4D. 105,000Km (65k)

It seems a common problem from searching threads here. I've only had the car a week and was delighted till today I got the big shock when the official dealer quoted me a silly price of replacement of entire unit, plus bulb and labour. In the region of 700 EUR ( £560+).

I have noticed it is a common complaint although I've not found an ingeniously simple and inexpensive solution as owners here in spain have documented.

My question is, have other people tried this with any success?

Metalic tape:

This thread in spanish of avensisclub.com shows that by smoothly lining the lamp holder (in spanish) with a high quality reflective aluminium heat resistant tape, the brightness of the lamp is massively enhanced.

It might only cost a tenner, and some of your time to dismantle/assemble, but the results look really promising.

The videos of the before and after operation show a considerable illumination gain.

Before:

After:

Taking the lamp apart seems like the tricky part, I've seen people pop them in the oven to warm the seal to prize the thing open. Any step by step instructions on the process would be greatly welcome.

It would be great to hear your views on this hack.

Anyone dare it? I am very tempted.

post-122694-0-69599900-1340320914_thumb.

• 4 months later...

So I tried this and I am astounded at the improvement in illumination for a few quids worth of aluminium tape.

A real palava to take the things apart by oven baking them, but the gain in light is totally worth it. Don't be fooled to thinking you need a new xenon bulb when the reflectors are all blackened and is the root cause of the problem. Go the extra hog and disassemble the lights and do this. It's totally worth it.

This is how knackered my reflector was when I took it apart: http://mmkt.in/W5ZCAW

This is the before and after effect of the operation. http://mmkt.in/W5ZL7q

I'd say the photo defies the true difference and whiteness of the emitted light. I am more than satisfied with the result. It saved me about 1400 euros aswell versus the dealer quote of new lamp units fitted.

Excellent post... thanks for showing. I've noticed my drivers side light isn't as bright as the passenger side.

Cheers

You're welcome.

I've spent hours going through this forum and am amazed how often this complaint about the lights comes up and how much misguided effort is put into changing the lights or replacing the whole unit or doing HID upgrades etc when the culprit is this small piece of plastic that is woefully chromed.

The fix I suggest has been done by people who have tested it after hundreds of hours of use and successful MOT and it's a solid hack.

I totally recommend it.

Have a same problem. I was also think about alluminium tape but was worried about heat inside the headlamp. Do you know what exact tape did he used? Do I need to take the plexi-glass off the headlampt or just back cover?

Just asking becouse mine lights was painted to black colour (chrome surround was damadged and looked ****y) 4 months ago(heating gun used for about 3-4minutes to warm the original seal) but i used strong silicone-sealant to seal it back again. Its easy to do it but I didt check the bulb holders and that was mistake becouse they are my problem :( . Now I am worry about how to remove that freaking glass again.. seems to b strong enough to resist the heating gun :( . Does anybody know if I can remove the bulb holders from the back of the headlamp??

I oven baked entire lamp unit for 15mins at 70celsius to enable sufficient softening of sealant to get the lights apart. It's the only way. I make sure the light does not touch hot parts of oven to avoid risk. Then you just need some screwdrivers to finally access the reflector. I used regular aluminium insulation tape with it's own adhesive and cut the pieces in triangles for a best fit. You will need to gently buff it and press down some wrinkles out. Reheat all again to reassemble.

• 2 months later...

Hello, thats common problem ive actualy found a better solution you can get a new reflecting unit rather than using tape,

i would not use tape because of the heat inside

and thats not permanent solution

i can answer on pm about how to get those new ones

The tape is designed to withstand high heat in ducts and has not deteriorated for anyone I know who has tried this hack for over a year. To chemically plate plastic is a complex process that costs a lot and almost no one will do as a one off. I don't know what your suggestion is, why can't you say publically what it is?

Exactly. Spanish lads has very good experience with the tape 4 more than year so why spend more money for something else?

I'm sorry it took me so long to response,And yes you can get a new one :)

But i can't advertise anything.

reflector lamp is the most important part any damage and burned part of the reflector very badly affect the glow, because each has adjusted the aperture reflector and lens. putting tape over the reflector make its surface uneven, we are not being able to do both,

post-128790-0-76903400-1359910537_thumb.

and each of the refraction of light will affect badly the outcome and especially blinding other drivers in the video clearly shows that prior to repair your light is weak, but it has a nice cut-off line of light and video light after the repair is nice but the cut is not equal and the light still shines above the cut-off which causes discomfort to other drivers.Such headlights will not go thru MOT

post-128790-0-06991100-1359911219_thumb.

post-128790-0-13964800-1359920191_thumb.

post-128790-0-64858400-1359962565_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links