Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Average Mpg Is Wishful Thinking!

Allan P

I've recently bought a 2010 Hybrid T-Spirit, and of course I've been monitoring very closely how many miles per gallon I'm getting. I zeroise the average MPG on the computer when I fill up, and then compare the displayed figure to the calculated average MPG when I refuel.

Typically the computer says I've done about 57 - 58 mpg on the tank, but comparing the miles driven to the fuel required to fill up I'm actually getting significantly worse than that - more like 53 - 54. I've repeated the measurement several times and get similar results each time.

It's a bit disappointing to have the computer figures so far out, especially when they're not that good to start with. Are other owners finding the same discrepancy?

Regarding what shows on the dash, I find the Auris average display to be anywhere between 5-10% optimistic compared to brim-to-brim. That's similar to what you're seeing and in my experience about right for every car I've had with a mpg meter.

Regarding disappointment with the actual figures; I am a relatively new owner myself and I can say from my limited experience that these cars will not deliver their 'claimed' economy unless you are prepared to adopt the correct driving style. After some research (lots of good stuff on the Hybrid/Prius section of this forum) and a bit of practice, I now regularly see journey averages of 75-85mpg (less 5-10% in reality). However, my wife (the main driver) can't be bothered with that kind of effort and generally only gets low 60s.

I'd say your figures therefore look about right for 'normal' driving. Not sure if you've boosted your tyre pressures yet, but this is a nice easy way to see slightly better mpg if you don't fancy adjusting your style too much.

Double post. Sorry.

I have a Lexus CT which has the same sort of computer and the figures are generally 5 to 10% optimistic compared to actual calculations from brim to brim.

I am on my 2nd tank brim to brim in my Auris HSD T Spirit and it has done 2 tanks of 58mpg, this is whilst the computer saying 61mpg both times over whole tank and after resetting after each refuel.

I make that 5% deviation, the best that i have observed in any car that i've had.

I am on my 3rd tank brim to brim in my Auris HSD T Spirit and it has done 2 tanks of 58mpg, this is whilst the computer saying 61mpg both times over whole tank and after resetting after each refuel.

I make that 5% deviation, the best that i have observed in any car that i've had.

My Auris SR (non hybrid) is the same. Clock says 38-42 mpg. My petrol bills says more like 35 to 38 mpg.

Surprisingly driving with Aircon entirely off for a month or so doesn't seem to make much of a difference fuel consumption wise.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links