Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Transmission Whine

battytrebor

Hi all,

Mine is a 2011 1.6 petrol with 11k miles on the clock. I have a whine in the transmission at between 45 and 52 mph. It happens in all gears, on or off the throttle, even coasting in neutral with the engine at tickover. When the car was new, it only happened when the engine was cold, but now it is an ever-present annoyance.

It isn't particularly loud, in fact I can't hear it from the passenger seat. I raised the issue with Mr T at the first service 2 weeks ago and the reaction was " they all do it, Sir." A highly dubious explanation, of how it was caused by "the helix in the variable valve timing", clearly aimed at total idiots, followed. Having an engineering background, I recognised this as total bull! To me it sounds like it is coming from the transmission as it is simply road speed sensitive.

Has anyone out there had this problem? More importantly, has anyone had the problem fixed and what was it?

Best wishes

Bob

HI Bob,i have this whine and others have mentioned it as well.

On my car it comes in at just under 50 mph and if my car was a diesel i doubt you would hear it. i notice it only on 50 mph restricted roads,other times i does not show if you accelerating through the the critical speed or slowing from a speed above it.

not at all concerned by it myself.

Hi I have a 57 plate Auris with 53.000 mile and over the past Months I to have noticed a whine around 45-55 MPH. If you drive on light throttle you can here the whine foot off the throttle noise goes away, you can actually play with the noise with throtle pedal slight power noise power off no noise. Thought of changing gear Box Oil but don't know if this would be of any help. Having been in the Motor Trade all my life in the good old bad old days this noise would have suggested a differential bearing or crown wheel noise HOPE NOT.

a slight whine is normal....the gearbox has moving parts so it make a noise. all cars have a whine some are noiser than others.

a slight whine is normal....the gearbox has moving parts so it make a noise. all cars have a whine some are noiser than others.

All your cars maybe.

All your cars maybe.

All your cars maybe.

yes i do have a slight whine in all my cars from the gearbox...apart from my range rover sport hse but thats an auto...mate you do drive a Toyota what do you expect?

I worked on Range Rover thats why i drive a Toyota

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links