Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Mods Have You Made?

Gods_gift

To our Rav 4 2006 xt4 I've added since we bought it: led side and fog lights, auto dimming mirror thing, Toyota dog guard, tonneau cover (didn't have one when bought), Toyota rubber boot liner, new rear anti roll drop links from a hilux and a towsure tow bar.

Considering sat nav/head unit, snorkel and sump guards.

What have you done to yours?

What have you done to yours?

Ventureshield film on vulnerable areas, additional boot lighting and horn upgrade [Anchs mods], boot liner, rear step/bar, side steps, front guard, mud flaps, sill plates, mud mats, second set of alloys, toolkit [all Toyota], leather handbrake handle and gaiter, leather gear stick gaiter [various sources, adapted by myself], cubby box divider, glovebox lighting, Satnav bracket [my design], Gentex auto dimming mirror, bonnet lifters [Redline Tuning]

Oh, and a vintage RAC Badge and a 4WD Badge on the grille :rolleyes:

Nowt yet, but going to explore the cruise control this afternoon; need to see if I have the plug fitted on my '56 pov-spec model. Always make my own boot liners from 3 mm rubber sheet from my local plastics-man, so cut that to size and popped that in. Otherwise, hope / plan to look at the headunit replacement options, and fog lights.

Gods_gift did you use the Toyota foglight kit?

Davrav what's ventureshield? Pardon my ignorance!

Sam, Ventureshield is a clear film that is used to protect the car from stone chips. It is made by the 3m company quite expensive, but is worth while for the fact that it does work!!!! You can also buy it for specific areas of the car- Bonnet, all over and front areas of the car.

Regards Clare

So by poverty spec you mean XT3?

Not a lot on mine. Horns and interior boot lights, rear bumber guard and loads of waxoyl.

Sam, Ventureshield is a clear film that is used to protect the car from stone chips. It is made by the 3m company quite expensive, but is worth while for the fact that it does work!!!! You can also buy it for specific areas of the car- Bonnet, all over and front areas of the car.

Regards Clare

So by poverty spec you mean XT3?

Right, i know the stuff you mean now, thanks for that.

And yes, by Poverty Spec i mean the XT3. We looked at all sorts of cars, ages and spec, but I'd rather have an entry Rav than the others we saw. Its just a shame we couldnt find a higher spec at he time of looking (at the right price and for sale in the right kind of place)

My Xt4 had fog lights already and I bought the led bulbs off flea bay. Used them two days ago for the first time on the way back from Hexham and they seemed mega bright.

Which leads me to another question!!!! LED side lights ,stop lights and indicator lights. Can you sub these bulbs for led bulbs without causing problems ( Canbus?) I know mine is a different type ( Urban cruiser) not a Rav4, and you already have Led brake lights, but was just wondering.( know Big Kev has led sightlights )

Inquizzative Clare

My Xt4 had fog lights already and I bought the led bulbs off flea bay. Used them two days ago for the first time on the way back from Hexham and they seemed mega bright.

Sorry, misread your original post! I fancy putting some in but will only do it if I can get the OEM upgrade kit (dread to think of the cost though!)

Which leads me to another question!!!! LED side lights ,stop lights and indicator lights. Can you sub these bulbs for led bulbs without causing problems ( Canbus?) I know mine is a different type ( Urban cruiser) not a Rav4, and you already have Led brake lights, but was just wondering.( know Big Kev has led sightlights )

Inquizzative Clare

Good quality LEDs will have resistors to avoid problems.

After making a kind of mistake last time round when I bought a fairly base spec XT3 and ended by spending £000s pimping it, this time got the SR so not much room for Pimping.

So, so far just done:

Set of 18" T180 alloys with Continental Winter Tyres

TPMS system on both Winter and Regular Wheels

Toyota iPod adapter

Centre console divider (inspired by Davrav)

Dashmount and phone cradle

ScanGauge II EODB reader/display

DRLs

Upgraded Osram Nightbreaker Main Beam lamps

Upgraded Osram Dipped lamps

LED front side lights

Roof rails (added when purchased)

Premium (spotty) side steps (fitted as optional extra)

Mudflats (chopped up to work with aforesaid side steps

Front Nudge Bar (fitted as optional extra)

Chrome cill scuff plates (fitted as optional extra)

Boot Liner

Hmmm, maybe I HAVE been pimping! :)

On the 2003 4.2...

- Replaced horns with French Horns (cartoons welcome)

- Front anti-roll bar bushes are now polyurethane

- DMF replaced by SMF

- Central dash illumination (not dimmable originally) too bright, illumination level dropped

- Variable wiper-delay added (originally a fixed interval)

- Fifty-plus stainless steel rivets installed in rear door, to stop rattles/squeaks/disintegration

- Rigid spare wheel cover now secured with additional 3 stainless screws

- Front fog lights improved (internal baffle removed)

- Headlamp bulbs upgraded to 'superwhite'

- Exhaust de-catted, and rear low-point equipped with scuff-plate

- Reversing sensors fitted

Have never managed to find an after-market sump protector plate, except in exotic stainless at £500+, so will probably make one up. (One sump dinged, holed and replaced five years ago.)

Chris

Don't go in much for pimping.......... Oh, hang on a minute, it does add up!

After market TPMS ( same as Hoovies )

Changed the B9004 headunit for a Sony one with built in TomTom + iPod connection + bluetooth

Rear bumper guard

Osram Nightbreakers in the main and dip beams

Toyota Bootliner

Toyota Roof rails

Phone and iPod built into centre arm rest with charging.

Some high quality front seat covers to protect the leather when I'm working

Detatchable Tow bar

A lot of detailing stuff!!!!

Crikey, I feel lazy errrmm I washed it last it last weekend does that count as pimping?

Gus

Depends if you polished it after as much as Don does :)

My 2007 XT5 came with the style and protection pack, have since fitted mudflaps, Toyota rubber mats (kinky!) the 90 degree rear door hinge, a boot liner, and fed it some Shell super fuel. Want to fit an i pod thingy, some wind deflectors, and the Sony unit with tom tom and bits sounds good.

Style kit, reversey beep beeps, i-pod kit, bluetooth kit (all OEM Toyota), bonnet stone deflector (which works great for beasties....I now get 39% less insects hitting my windscreen going by my estimation systems....), photochromic self dipping mirror with in built digital directional compass (DDC...) The mirror is the only bit I fitted myself.....the aging Anchorman played a small part in the fitment of the others, except the Style Kit which I had dealer fitted.

Oops......forgot to mention the Lindop Chip Kit, bought second hand from ex-poster Mereside....deffo one of the best improvements.

Would love a proper fitted sat nav system, but since nobody likes me and I don't get invited anywhere, there's no real need for it.

Big Kev

Kev mate, you are welcome any time, just pop this into your fitted Toyota satnav EH99 1SP, give me a call when you go past Oxford and I will get the kettle on and start making breakfast. I made the same offer to Hoovie and I havent seen or heard from him since. :lol:

Gus

Crikey, I feel lazy errrmm I washed it last it last weekend does that count as pimping?

Gus

Depends if you polished it after as much as Don does :)

nah dont use the Polish car wash, can't they all went back to Poland. I have to use my car wash but at least I use the non scratch scourer oh and cif cream - works well, trick BK taught me :)

On the 2003 4.2...

- Exhaust de-catted, and rear low-point equipped with scuff-plate

Chris - what did you do to de-cat the exhaust - how did you deal with the O2 sensors etc.? Guessing that in Spain the emissions control is less?

Hi Tim,

My (diesel) oxidation catalyst - first box - became blocked, and examination revealed that the internal ceramic honeycomb was 80% clogged with soot. All this despite using high-quality fuel, "diesel clean" additive, and frequent fast motorway runs!

De-catting was simply achieved by poking out the honeycomb (it crumbles) with a steel rod, and leaving the box empty.

Power returned, fuel consumption improved, and a very slight increase in exhaust note.

Emissions test here is much the same as UK, and the car has always recorded ultra-low smoke/opacity readings.

There are no sensors on or near the box.

Chris

Hi Tim,

My (diesel) oxidation catalyst - first box - became blocked, and examination revealed that the internal ceramic honeycomb was 80% clogged with soot. All this despite using high-quality fuel, "diesel clean" additive, and frequent fast motorway runs!

De-catting was simply achieved by poking out the honeycomb (it crumbles) with a steel rod, and leaving the box empty.

Power returned, fuel consumption improved, and a very slight increase in exhaust note.

Emissions test here is much the same as UK, and the car has always recorded ultra-low smoke/opacity readings.

There are no sensors on or near the box.

Chris

Cheers Chris - sounds a useful mod for the diesel.

Hi Tim,

My (diesel) oxidation catalyst - first box - became blocked . . .

Cheers Chris - sounds a useful mod for the diesel.

Not really a mod for the sake of it, more a "repair" out of necessity - the exhaust was blocked, and engine stuttered and chuffed like a leaky exhaust at higher revs. Really done to (i) sort problem, and (ii) to avoid the high cost of a new cat. I wouldn't recommend it where there is no problem!

Chris

PS . . . Oh...and four mudflaps...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links