Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Starting D4D Rav4

Escaladieu

My Rav4 D4D has a problem starting - with a fully charged Battery when I crank the engine fires right away but then the whole engine shakes violently and stops. If I hold my foot on the gas pedal all the way down it starts - but still shakes violently as it does so.

The glow plugs have been recently replaced.

The engine starts better from cold than hot. I'd guess that the power output from the engine is a bit less than it used to be. The car has 70K kilometers on the clock. Once started it runs fine without problems

I have not a great deal of faith in the local dealer - so I'd like to try and diagnose this myself - any ideas anyone ? Help much appreciated

You mean fix it yourself - we're diagnosing it!!!

Try pumping that black plunger on top of the fuel filter to see if there is air in it. It will be free then go stiff when all the air is out. It sounds a bit like air to me. That would lead me to change the fuel filter to start with.

You mean fix it yourself - we're diagnosing it!!! :disgust: Point Taken ! I'll do as you suggest & report back.

Many thanks for the reply

You mean fix it yourself - we're diagnosing it!!!

Try pumping that black plunger on top of the fuel filter to see if there is air in it. It will be free then go stiff when all the air is out. It sounds a bit like air to me. That would lead me to change the fuel filter to start with.

Pumping the plunger made all the difference. Can I ask how air gets in the filter ? and how changing the filter helps ? Many, many thanks for the help !

Well not always air in the system, sometimes low pressure caused as it runs back to the tank but it could be either. Start by changing the filter which may take away a restriction. You will find instructions in the pinned section.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links