Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Previa 2001 D4d Clutch Burnout At 24k

Tbone

Does anyone know if this is a common problem with a diesel Previa D4D to have a clutch burnout at 24k miles. This has happened to a friend of mine.

It went on the way back from devon with 6 young kids and two adults. Could it be that the D4D engine is too powerful for the clutch. I know this sounds odd but my friend has had loads of cars before and never buned out a clutch in any of them.

I was told by a toyota dealer that the D4D engine is so torquey that toyota have not managed to build an auto box that is reliable enough to go into production. This made me think that with all that torque the only thing that "gives" is the clutch and that might be why my friends clutch burned out.

Any ideas anyone. He is getting the usual "you must have been riding the clutch sir so it's not covered under the warranty" from the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

I can't believe the clutch has burnt out due to the engine, it must have been an adjustment problem, or not being disrespectful to your friend but does he drive with his foot over the clutch as Ive done this before on my last car and its not til you try and accelerate you hear the engine rev up cos the clutch is slipping.

Nothing kills a clutch more then a 4wd car, as there is no give in the tyres when pulling away compared to a 2wd car. Volkswagen have bought out a V10 turbo diesel with more torque then a steam liner and they can feed that power through an auto box.

I would say he has either had a dodgy clutch or the auto adjuster (presuming it has one) has malfunctioned causing the clutch to drag

I once burnt out the clutch on an Omega at 1500 miles. The problem was a faulty clutch servo.

I think consumer law has changed regarding the onus of proof so that the dealer's "you're guilty unless proven innocent" won't stand up in law. The Consumers Association (Which?) could probably advise here. Also, the product should last a "reasonable" period of time, which is clearly not the case at 24k.

Thanks Blobstrom and Tardis I will pass on your comments especially the consumer law quote "fit for the purpose".

It seems to me that all manufacturers try to get away with it but I admit it does sound very unusual for a previa to burn out a clutch so early in its life.

Thanks again

Tony

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links