Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knackered Suspension

Titto

I drove a mates mr2 t'other day and it rides so much better than mine. Although it had 14" rims and mines got 17" rims, i dont believe thats whats causing my ride to be so harsh.

Lets presume the suspension is <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ed, and i need it replacing - Do i:-

1) Get these from mtte?

CUSCO

USED

PRODUCT:

SW20 COMP S COILOVERS

COMMENTS:

CUSCO COMPETITION S COILOVER KIT. HARDLY USED. IN VERY GOOD CONDITION.

PRICE:

£479

(excludes delivery where applicable)

They are on the stock page about 3/4 way down...

Or

2) Get some new stock ones from Mr T?

3) Try and get some from somewhere else in used condition???

ALSO: is there any other things that should be replaced on a 12 year old car when doing the suspension - i've heard bushes mentioned before? Any ideas folks???

Basically, the ride is exceptionally harsh and you can feel every single bump - sometimes you can hear everything bang as it goes over holes etc - i think the suspension must be knackered after this long so pleaaaaasssseeee help me!!!

Cheers

Adam

it most prob is the difference in wheel size mate.

I went for a ride in Pizza boys with 15inch wheels and it felt so much smoother !

Same with jappys... if I remember

Adam,

Are your tyres very thin? I'm assuming they must be so that you can maintain the same rolling radius as the 15" wheels. Jimlad is right to say that the ride may well be a little harsher, due to decreased flex in thinner tyres. However, if it is crashing over bumps, then it sounds very much like the shocks could have had it. Are they the originals? Shocks are generally dead after around 60,000 or so.

If I were you, I'd look out for some Toyota Bilsteins. From what I've heard, they do seem to be the best to fit, striking a balance between ride quality and cornering performance. I think someone got these direct from Bilstein for around £110 a piece. Fitting them is what will cost, though if you can do it yourself, it makes everything suddenly a lot cheaper.

The springs should be fine, they're pretty tough and should last for many thousands of miles.

Ok, but what about these bushes ? and other things to be 'refreshed' because i think i will end up getting a new refreshed suspension set up.

Do you get the springs with the shocks on those blistein items?

Also, my steering wheel still vibrates. I remember some of you mentioning that you can put some rubber things (i think) on the mounting bolts for the alloy wheels? any more info on these?

Cheers

Adam

The bushes should be part of the shocks, they sit at the top, above the rubber sheaths which turn to elastic bands on older shocks. You shouldn't need new springs too, your car hasn't done enough miles. Do a visual inspection of the springs, if they look good then they should be fine.

As for the alloys, haven't heard of anything rubber that goes by the bolts, that sounds like it could be dangerous. Do you have spacers fitted? These can cause vibration problems when they prevent the wheel from lining up with the studs correctly.

I got my Cusco's from MTTE .. they make the ride more harsh.

Mr T don't stock MR2 suspension, Billies are about 300 notes a corner ..

Billies are about 300 notes a corner

Really!? I sincerely hope that's fitted.

I've seen this on the MR2 FAQ site regarding the Billies:

Demon Tweaks will do these for £132.38 (112.66+VAT) each, but I bought mine from Elite who did them for £101 each, plus £125 fitting, bringing the total bill to £620, of course including a four wheel alignment afterwards!

http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/mr...tein_Suspension

Part numbers for the Tubby:

Left Front : V36-4017

Right Front : V36-4018

Left rear : V36-4019

Right Rear : V36-4020

Sometime I hate this country. Been looking around the web for Billies. In the states you can have a complete set for $520 which is around £300 with present exchange rates. This compares very nicely with the £600 they want over here. What a rip off country we live in!!!

and actually try and get some .. Billie stopped making them :(

I had no idea this was the case. Bummer, looks like I'll be looking for an alternative when it comes to the shock change. Any decent alternatives that strike the same performance/ride quality? If so how much are they and where can I get them?

Maybe your topmounts are knackered too. Mines wore out double quick when I lowered my car creating a 'clanking' sound over harsh bumps and a little 'knock knock' here and there on normal uneven road surface. Im gettin TRD topmounts from fensport V soon. Same price as Mr T topmounts but bit more heavy duty. £50..

Oh and I got stock springs from my MR2 replaced @ 39k on clock they are in top nick. Ill punt em to ya if ya want..will give you rev4 drop hieght = low but not stupid low.

I've been looking at Fensport's products. I've emailed them about the Bilstein Sport shocks coupled with the Sport spring kit (30 mm drop). If this turns out to be a decent combination, they may be comming to a vehicle near me over the next few months :). When I do it, I'll get the old camera out again and do a write up. I've done shocks before but not on an MR2, looks quite straightforward....... Got to bleed the damn brake system though which is a bit of a PITA.

Nice one, I'll take a look at that..... Looks like a very good writeup. Not sure about cutting the slot in the pipe holder for the brake system though, I would be concerned about the pipe working it way loose, though to be honest, I haven't read the whole test yet so maybe he does something to secure it - a cable tie springs to mind......

However, I like the tips on the ABS sensor, I bet they cost around £100 over here, if I don't have to remove it then it's a definate bonus. It looks like the fensport Billies come with all the neccessary brackets pre attached, so changing the shocks should be even easier.

It would seem not... but you can get Bilstein Sport shocks from Fensport http://www.fensport.co.uk. Around £130 each plus VAT. They also do some sports springs. I've emailed them about the combination. When I hear back I'll let you know what they say :thumbsup:

Excellent Dame, i'll be purchasing them if you can let me know the info!

So i need those shocks, new springs (or Pizza Boys) and some new bushes???? anything else?

Um I think you need some gaskets if your removing the brake pipes and a brake bleed kit - though in hindsight, it looks like cutting into the bracket will make the job a damn sight easier!! I'll see if I can post the relavant pages from the workshop manual next week, that will tell you all you need to know, along with special tools required i.e. spring tensioner. - though that guide is excellent.

Oh and I got stock springs from my MR2 replaced @ 39k on clock they are in top nick. Ill punt em to ya if ya want..will give you rev4 drop hieght = low but not stupid low.

Pizzaboy, If titto doesnt take your springs, i will.

I was bidding for a set couple of weeks ago on eBay

and missed them by 50p!

to say i was :ffs: is an understatement :thumbsup:

On the Fennsport site they sell some bushes - anyone recommend any off there to order - remember im trying to keep the ride comfortable!!!

Thanks

Adam

I drove a mates mr2 t'other day and it rides so much better than mine. Although it had 14" rims and mines got 17" rims, i dont believe thats whats causing my ride to be so harsh.

Don't discount the wheels completely, My car went from 14 - 17" and the ride quality for me, fell off by about 50%. My car is skittish now to say the least, it jumps sideways, there is a lot more u/steer and it gets railroaded very easy. I was shocked by how much it was affected and am now looking into going back to 16 or 15".

Aye it's down to reduced flex due to thinner tyre walls. This is precisely why I like to keep to the stock wheel size.

Nice, well im selling my 17's to a lad at work and when i get that money i'll get me new tyres fitted onto my revamped original 15"s!!!

i was going to get those from mtte untill i asked how much to my door...................... £679 :eek: new adjustable konis from fensport would be £400

i agree with the 17" not being the best 16" is a good comprimise. 15" are probably the best in terms of ride quality.

i think i'll go with koni adjustables when its shock replacement time, at £400 all round can't really argue.

Midmotorsteve - where have you been??? not seen you postin in a while!

I'll see how i get on when the 15"s go on then update this thread...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links