Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Old Engine In New Auris

Goran3456

Hey guys what do you think about Toyota coming out with a brand new Auris and recycling the Valvematic engine from the old one? I never heard of a brand new model with old engine.

Having had Corolla with atmospheric engine for the last 6 years from new, I was hoping they would come up with a more modern engine for the new Auris. The competition certainly had, Alfa Romeo has a brilliant small Turbo powered MultiAir engine and so does Volkswagen with their FSI engine etc.

Small turbo has much better performances and fuel efficiency combined with an almost diesel like torque. Why is Toyota lagging behind? I love my Corolla but for my next car I would like to be able to buy a new one more in tune with the newest technology.

What do you guys think of this?

It is commonplace for car manufacturers to bring out a new model with engines and running gear from the previous model. VW have done this with the Golf V, VI and VII, Ford with the Focus, Peugeot with the 308, etc. New engines may be introduced partway through a model's lifecycle - such as the Ford Ecoboost 1.0 litre, the VW TSI, etc. I presume you a meant to refer to the VW TSI engines rather than the FSI. The TSI engines were introduced in 2005 - partway through the Golf V's lifecycle - and effectively replaced the FSI engines in 2008.

The same power plant maybe, but it has been revised

Toyota Optimal Drive takes in a wide-range of advanced technologies and internal improvement programmes designed to optimise the balance of performance and driving enjoyment with fuel economy and low emissions.

These diverse core technologies focus on three aspects of powertrain development. Firstly, the reduction of powertrain weight by using super-lightweight and highly compact engine components and transmissions.

Secondly, the minimisation of mechanical losses through the adoption of Valvematic – a further development of VVT-i valve timing technology – in the 1.6 petrol engine, and new roller rocker technology and smaller, lighter pistons in both petrol engines. Low viscosity oil and six-speed manual transmissions are used throughout the new Auris engine range.

Thirdly, the maximisation of combustion efficiency, achieved with a high, 11.5:1 compression ratio for the petrol engines, Valvematic, the refinement of intake port and combustion chamber design and piston cooling by oil jet. The Auris diesel engine further benefits from a low compression ratio, optimised combustion chamber dimensions and higher Exhaust Gas Recirculation cooler efficiency.

You can read more about the new Auris HERE

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links