Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt Broken

Fethiye

dont take the head off no need to its a non interference engine. its just a added cost you dont need to pay for. just get the mechanic to replace the broken belt. aa man has already shown compression is fine

Mrbilly seems confident. From his experience it might be worth a try.

Compression test must be the way forward before taking off the head.

I think the mech. is doing that Aycee, but I don't want to keep calling him as he's always been really good and I don't want to look like I'm "hovering" over him - I don't like that myself.

I'll let you all know

Hello folks. Mech. is fitting timing belt etc and trying a compression test (he'd already decided to do that) so fingers crossed and thanks for all your help - I'll keep you updated :excl:

No news yet folks but yet another question to keep you busy - a) would a used cylinder head fit straight on to the block or will skimming be involved: B) would a fully reconditioned head fit straight on wothout skimmink etc?

Once again - thanks

A reconditoned head should not need skimming it should have been checked for how level it is with a straight edge and feeler gauges or a surface plate.already to be called reconditioned.

You may well get away with a new set of valves. if there is enough damage done to the head its self then its a good chance a piston or con rod or two maybe damage be damaged.But i think it maybe just a valve or two thats bent.seeing there is some compression.

But if replacing just the belt does not work, then its all guess work till the headis off to check things out.properly.

Good luck

Cheers ace - yes it's all "steady as she goes". Lee my mech is on it now so should know what's occuring within the beast in the next few days. Found a head for decent money and it's done circa. 48,000 miles but it's not a recon just a used head????

Whatever happens I need my wheels back. "Rock and hard place" come to mind - I can't afford a new motor until summer so basically looking for the cheapest (but not short cut) option to get mobile again.

BTW the Celica is getting a new timing belt and water pump VERY soon :blushing:

• 2 weeks later...

Well here goes guys, the verdict is in:

£117 for full timing belt kit including new water pump.

After speaking with you guys I also spoke to my brilliant mechanic and he fitted the new timing belt and checked all was OK before lifting the head off - it was fireing on three for a few minutes (one pot flooded I guess from initial timing belt failure - means at least the piston ring is holding tight for it to keep the fuel there for so long) then "as if by magic" running like a new'n :clap:

Removed belt, fitted new tensioner, idlerss etc (and water pump).

RAV returned to me with total bill of £117 for parts and delivery and £115 for labour - paid £140 to my Mech as he listened to what I had to say and wasn't one of those to turn around automatically and say "leave it to me, I know what I'm doing". He still thinks I was lucky but as folks have said, there are so many conflicting ideas on this engine that a definative answer will always be difficult.

Anyway guys, many thanks for your input and it would be unfair to single anybody out, but yet again "Great work"

:toast: :toast: :toast:

All round

Congratulations!

For anyone else - if in any doubt get it changed!!!

For info, the engine seems to be running better than ever (daydream maybe). Before the belt failure there was a rattle that I was told (not by my mechanic I might add)was probably a loose exhaust heat shield which is quite common on older Rav4's so I'm told- The rattle is now gone without any work on the heat shield - cam belt tensioner/idler buggered maybe and jumped a cog ???!!!!!! I really don't know

It looks like it could have been a warning from my poor old RAV which I ignored so be aware folks - listen to your engine and assume NOTHING

Great news Fethiye!!! Fethiye....also a great place for a holiday!! I remember paragliding high up over Olu Deniz - stunning!! Good times!!

Absolutely you did mrbilly - that's why the head wasn't removed - beers are on me

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links