Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Of Toyota Radio With Aftermarket One.

madon37s

Hi all,

I have a Toyota Rav 4, 2001 (51) plated car and my question is this.

Is it possible to replace the radio head unit (see picture below)

Rav4Radio_zpsbb6857bf.jpg

with an aftermarket type cd/radio player? is there some sort of adapter plate for this purpose as it seems the original Toyota one is much larger in size than the aftermarket one! also, am I right in assuming if I do manage to replace the head unit I shall 'lose' all the other button uses.

Can anyone tell me how to take out this head unit and if I need a 'special' tool or not?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

regards

yes you can , pretty painless really. but you will need to get a fascia adaptor, try these

www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk

you need an allen key to undo the silver screws pull off the surround , then pull out the radio disconnect , put the adaptor in connect up your new radio , slide it in, tighten up the screws to hold it in. put everything back together.

you will lose the exterior temperature and fuel computer, though. the mpg didn't bother me and i bought a Battery powered exterior temp display in france.

it's been a while since i did mine so i've probably simplified it a bit , but it really is a fairly simple process.

tony

Welcome to the forum (aka madhouse or is it the other way round?) You may wish to add your model to your profile as some came with a 6 cd changer under the passenger seat. Have a search on here as I think there have been a few threads in the past.

Hi Tony, thanks for quick reply. It does seem quite easy by your explanation so that's a good thing, cheers.

pmb, Thanks for the welcome, I thought I had added my model to my profile! do you mean the exact type of car etc? by the way yes, it does have a 6 cd changer under the passenger seat but I would like to put my own radio etc in.

regards

Paul

The 6 cd unit was only standard on the VX but an option on other models which is why I am asking the question. A single cd player was fitted instead of the cassette and cd changer. I can see from your pic it is the same as mine. It does help to have the full specs about the vehicle as there are some differences between the GX and VX for instance. Yes , I know it is sad.

pmb, no worries mate I have duly updated my profile. It seems it is very similar to your car only mines a diesel.

regards

Paul

The 6 cd unit was only standard on the VX but an option on other models which is why I am asking the question. A single cd player was fitted instead of the cassette and cd changer. I can see from your pic it is the same as mine. It does help to have the full specs about the vehicle as there are some differences between the GX and VX for instance. Yes , I know it is sad.

6 CD changer also on the Granite Special Editions, Paul. Underseat or rear mounted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links