Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying Used Avensis - Missed Service. Advice Please.

Paulq

Hi

I am looking to buy a used Avensis and ideally wanted something, diesel, about 2 or 3 years old. However I have today found an immaculate 2008 D-4D which is priced at a point which would mean no outlay financially so I'm tempted despite being a little concerned about buying a car 5 years old.

Car has done 53k miles and had 2 owners but the reason I'm hesitating is that it was first serviced, according to schedule at 9k miles after 12 months but was then not serviced again until 2011 after 29k miles (2 years later). It's 3rd was done on schedule at 43k.

Firstly, are there any typical issues I need to know about with this model/year?

Second question is should I be put off by the 2 years between servicing? Is that likely to have done the car any harm?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

not sure of the servicing shedule, but it depends on what should be done at each stage and weather it was done even though it was late. if the previous owner had good quality oil in and drove sensably then less half would of been done than if it was poor oil and driven hard. does it drive ok.... any blue smoke out the exhaust at start up... any smoke if u drop a cog or two and hit the throttle especialy up a hill. does it seem to pull ok at low revs? any rattles from the engine bay especialy around by the belts and injectors.

i know im asking more questions than answering them but its the sort of thing u got to judge for ya self,,,,

coop

read the sticky at the top of the forum - particularly the bit about head gasket issues. Should the problem develop your car would still be within the 7 year/180000km limits for the extended warranty but the missed service would allow Toyota to say no.

Slightly confused as your profile says that you already have a 2007 2.0 diesel so you should know about typical issues?

I am only going to drive it tomorrow so will have a better idea of those issues then. I'm just after either reassurance or warning over the missed/late servicing.

Thanks and if anyone has further views they'd be very welcome.

read the sticky at the top of the forum - particularly the bit about head gasket issues. Should the problem develop your car would still be within the 7 year/180000km limits for the extended warranty but the missed service would allow Toyota to say no.

Slightly confused as your profile says that you already have a 2007 2.0 diesel so you should know about typical issues?

Sorry - out of date profile as haven't owned one for a while. I assume therefore its the same lump in the Avensis as was in my Corolla? I never had any issues with that engine and Toyota are giving me a 12 month warranty with this one (if I buy it) anyway.

i looked at quite a few avensis b4 i settled on the one i am going to get. I dont know weather i was looking at the bottom end of the market or just the wrong garages. lots had mechanical issues from ratteling aux belts to dodgy injectors to water coming in from the a pillar. lots of bodywork issues as well. admitedly i was looking at 06 to 08 plates between 4-6k. Incidently is the car ur going to look at in brentwood?

coop

i looked at quite a few avensis b4 i settled on the one i am going to get. I dont know weather i was looking at the bottom end of the market or just the wrong garages. lots had mechanical issues from ratteling aux belts to dodgy injectors to water coming in from the a pillar. lots of bodywork issues as well. admitedly i was looking at 06 to 08 plates between 4-6k. Incidently is the car ur going to look at in brentwood?

coop

I am going to try and check the car out with the previous owner today and see if there are any issues - not that they always tell you the truth mind but it's as good a reassurance as you can get I guess.

No it's not in Brentwood it's in North Wales.

lol ok its just i went to see a car that sounded simular and it was a dog... would of saved ya the trip

coop

Well, I bought it today and am pretty happy with it despite the usual dealer promises about what you get per-delivery (service etc), which I know they won't do. I actually tracked down the previous owner and he said the car was trouble free and reliable and he seemed pretty genuine as far as you can ever tell.

Quick further question - in looking on the Castrol site at the correct oil to use there were 2 engines listed for a 2008 plate:

2008 (DT Engine)

Or

2008 (1AD FTV) DT engine

How can I find out which engine is in my car please?

Thanks again for any help.

it will be a 1AD-FTV . any decent 5W30 semi-synth (or full synth if you feel like it). My preference was for A5/B5 rated .

Thank you that's a big help. It lists 5W-30 as you say but 2 different grades in 5w-30 A1 or 5w-30 C2. Is there a difference or is one better than the other?

Sorry for the basic questions. I just don't trust dealers to do a proper job so want to make sure I am getting the right stuff.

I am also expecting a bit of hassle over the front tyres as they are very low on tread. The dealer said it's 'Toyota Policy' that if tyres are below 3mm they'll be replaced and if over then they won't. I'm taking a tyre gauge with me on Friday and if they are under 3mm and haven't been replaced then I'll have something to say.

Purely hypothetically, if they are under 3mm and they don't replace them am I within my rights to involve Toyota? If so I'd welcome any contact details that anyone may have......

I hope it's not necessary but, with dealers, anything's possible.

Thanks for all the replies - really helpful.

C2 is low ash which is a requirement for cars fitted with DPFs (which it's highly unlikely that yours will have, if it does it will be labeled D-CAT).

The A1 Magnatec is also A5/B5 http://magnatec.cast...c-5w-30-a1.html

Tyres: yep I'm familiar with the 3mm tread policy. It is a good idea for most of the public as they do not check their tyres between services and 3mm will be illegal well before the next service. Also the evidence shows that stopping distances increase with tyre wear so the more tread the better. Toyota have a policy to recommend the tyres are replaced therefore they should be selling cars in the same manner. Have a word with them - I got a new set of fronts on mine when I bought it because the shoulders were badly worn even though the tyres were legal.

If you don't ask you don't get and all that. If you plan to collect it Friday it might be worth visitting/calling beforehand to give them the opportunity to change the tyres - Friday afternoons are not good time to be taking on more work as the workshop team will be trying to get away and they might outsource thier tyre services to a local tyre fitter.

Tyres: yep I'm familiar with the 3mm tread policy. It is a good idea for most of the public as they do not check their tyres between services and 3mm will be illegal well before the next service. Also the evidence shows that stopping distances increase with tyre wear so the more tread the better. Toyota have a policy to recommend the tyres are replaced therefore they should be selling cars in the same manner. Have a word with them - I got a new set of fronts on mine when I bought it because the shoulders were badly worn even though the tyres were legal.

If you don't ask you don't get and all that. If you plan to collect it Friday it might be worth visitting/calling beforehand to give them the opportunity to change the tyres - Friday afternoons are not good time to be taking on more work as the workshop team will be trying to get away and they might outsource thier tyre services to a local tyre fitter.

I asked when I paid the deposit and got the blurb about the policy etc etc so I deduced that I will get the 'not quite under 3mm enough' response when I collect on Friday. I'm kicking myself that I didn't take my tread depth gauge with me at the weekend but I'll have it with me when I collect it and will measure them before I pay for it.

As you can tell I don't trust dealerships one inch and simply don't believe they service cars or do anything like before they leave their premises.

On the assumption that I am right, and they didn't/won't change the tyres and they are under 3mm, then what recourse do I have?

Unfortunately I'd say none really - but I don't know what their rules are. If the tyres are legal then they aren't doing anything wrong. If they are under 3mm then they are working outside their policy so just hang tough and see what you can get from them. Look for anything to pick them up for - usually the front left tyre has its shoulder knocked out completely because people chuck the car into roundabouts at speed. If that one is worn then insist on a pair.

Good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links