Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello.

Paulus17

Hello Auris owners.

It looks like we will have to part company with our Rav,and need to get a more economical car to run and would like to stay with Toyota.

So we are looking for some advice on the Auris and other models which i will post in the relevant forums.

Are there any problems to look out for,models to avoid etc.??

TIA.

Welcome Paul :)

My first question would be what do you need your car for ie. commuting, short-distance trips or motorway miles ? If you do a lot of cold start-stop runs with a relatively low-mileage I'd go for a petrol Auris. I know the 1.6 model is nice but can't vouch for the 1.33 version - others on here can though.

If you do a lot of longer-distance commuting especially on motorways, then a diesel engine makes more sense. The 2.0 gets a little better MPG figures overall & has cheaper insurance than the 2.2, but the bigger engine pulls like a train which is great for towing.

The petrol models are much cheaper to repair if they go wrong, but if you bought a decent warranty with the car then a diesel shouldn't worry you either. 1.6's can easily get low 40s MPG overall, which is actually similar to a well maintained diesel !

Hi Paul.

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

It will mainly be used for short journeys to and from work and just general drives out,not much motorway.

Is there anything mechanically that goes wrong with them??

I've had two 1.33 Auris - the first one, a 2009 model replaced a 2006 1.4 Corolla, and I had a 2012 model in October. Didn't have any problems with the 2009 Auris. Used a lot in an urban environment (Birmingham), and also at least twice a year for holidays (Isle of Skye at least once a year). 1.33 effectively produces the same bhp as the 1.4 in the Corolla/early Auris, and performance wise very little different. Cruised OK at 70-80 plus on the motorway with two adults on board, rear seats folded forwards and a full load of luggage. Six speed gearbox OK. Economy better than the Corolla - 35/37mpg around town (Corolla 32)and up to 48 touring. Only breakage we had was the passenger side cupholder - fixed under warranty.

The stop/start system works quite well - not designed to operate when outside temperature below around 4 degrees C and when the car has a heavy electrical load on (eg, air con or heater/heated rear window on). Can be welcome in traffic.

I don't know of any significant problems with the 1.6 Auris and a read of other member's 1.3's should give you a heads-up there. It sounds like you'd be better off with a petrol model - whether 1.3 or 1.6. I'd suggest trying both for peace of mind before buying.

If you decide on an Auris as Uncle Buck has stated try both the 1.6 and the 1.33. I did and could not tell that much difference between them. Went for the 1.33 ,lower running costs, road tax etc with a real gem of an engine. No problems in three years. The wife loves it which is really end of story!

Is there much difference between the Yaris 1.33 and the Auris 1.33 models.Is the Auris a bigger car??

As the Yaris is both smaller & lighter, it should also feel a little nippier too - with the potential for better MPG.

i agree. the yaris is smaller and lighter so will have quicker acceleraton and better MPG. I opted for a 1.6 auris as i upgraded from an old 1.0 yaris due to longer distances and need more power.

the 0-30 was very similar between the two cars which sounds ridiculous although the auris only just edges it. but the power in the higher speeds was what i wanted.

also, the boot space and general passenger room/comfort is far more substantial and having had a 1.33 yaris for a courtesy car, while the \MPG is better i was so glad to get my auris back. much more comfortable, better ride and more power. i just feel very confident driving it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links