Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Leak

JoeHarrop

Hi

I own a Celica 1995 6th gen 2000 GT. 2 years ago the oil filter started to leak quite badly and without any notice.

The problem turned out to be the OIL FILTER had rotted, once the problem was located it was east to fix by fitting a new filter.

Last week I came out of a hospital car park and the oil light came on. Cleary I stopped and it appeard that the OIL FILTER was leaking. The RAC came out and fitted a new one, it was rotten again.

Does any member know why this happaens, whilst the fix is easy, had it not been for the oil light major damage would have occured.

Thanks

JOE

I have only ever seen this on old non genuine filters, are you using a genuine one and why was it two years old? as the filter should be replaced every year along with the engine oil

I do all my own general servicing and have done on all my cars for the last 15 years & I've never had this happen before. Where are you buying your filters from?

Devon Aygo

I rely on the garage, and latter the RAC to fit filter and change oils.

The car had only done 8000 miles between oil changes in two years, to change more often is in the garage opinion a little exsesive.

EDWARDIO

Hi

I am seventy two years of age an very active. I do not (or choose not) to sprawl underneath a Celica 6th Gen. I rely upon the garage and the latter the RAC to suply parts.

Sorry I do not know the make of the oil filter. I have just looked and it is Black.

I was hoping some member may have had the same problem and advised me of what may cause the rusting, Enough to cause the filter to leak suddenly.

JOE

Oil changes should be done every year regardless of milage.

I don't have or have never owned a Gen 6, but on the Gen 7 we have under trays to protect the underside of the engine from water splashing up from normal road driving, so I don't know what's fitted to the Gen 6 but for an oil filter to rust that much in 2 years you must have an awful lot of water splashing up and salt off the roads in the winter getting onto the filter.

As you have only done 8,000 miles in two years, I take it you only do short journeys, if this is the case then it is more important to change the oil more frequently.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links