Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Engine

Seggy

Following earlier posts regarding mot failure, clogged EGR and then starting and blue smoke problems, Mr T has decided to fit a new engine to my 2006/7 Verso D4D. So hats off to Toyota for this , they were quick and efficient in handling the problem.

However has anybody else out there with a Verso had a replacement engine and then had problems. I just wondered if the EGR , etc will still remain an ongoing problem, the fuel pump or other.

Any comments appreciated, as I had been thinking of trading in and trading up the Verso and because of reduced mileage go for a petrol. I like the practical aspects of the verso preferring it to my prvious Hilux in many ways. Cheers.

I had my engine (2.2 D4D) replaced 12 months ago and have since done around 25K miles-two dealer services and used five litres of oil to top up in this time. At the second service a leaking sump was identified and cured under warranty. Subsequently the car let me down on the M40 and I had to be relayed home. Toyota identified the problem as a blocked fuel filter which surprised me as it is supposed to be changed every 40,000 miles and the car had just had a 120,000 mile service at the same garage. Since then the car has been running perfectly (touch wood) and is definitely smoother and more economical than the original engine. My replacement engine included a new EGR and injectors but I don't know if that is always the case. I hope your new engine is a success as from what you read on this forum it is not always the case!.

Dear Keithy1, Thanks for your reply, I am not sure that in the course of my current engines life and its 3 year service plan with the main dealer that the fuel filter has ever been changed, so I do have reservations about this and other ancillary components. Can I ask did you change the V5 engine number with DVLC , and if so how long did this take, again many thanks for your reply.

Hi, Seggy,

It only took about a week from what I remember -the new number bore no resemblance to the original engine. I did Toyota a bit of a disservice in my last note-the last service before the fuel filter failed was at 100,000 not 120,000 as I thought.

Cheers for the reply, Keithy1, the car has now been in the garage 2 weeks and I agreed that they replace the clutch whilst the engine was out, it was a good part worn it seems. Will have to wait for the report when the car is ready, but will mention the fuel filter as this seems a common one although mine has only done 60,000 and i dont know how often the filter should be changed. Again many thanks...Seggy

Thanks for that Alex will check filter change when i get the car back, seggy

Got my car back yesterday after app 2 weeks as indicated by Mr T. Seems smoother and better for the new clutch and release bearing which cost me £330 ish.

Will have to wait and see, only bad bit was the steering wheel is out of true, when i'm going dead straight the wheel is about ten degrees to the left !

All went OK , must say Toyota and their service manager were spot on and professional about it all . Its been two months of hassle I could have done without though just hope all goes well from now on in. The engine is an Optifit, not sure how much of the engine is new, the block looks new but the head / cam area looks like the old one as is the EGR.

The Optifit engine is a 3/4 engine, block, pistons, head, all built up, the ancilleries are all swapped over

Kingo :thumbsup:

Cheers Parts King, it all seems to be working OK anyway ....bit more like when I first bought it !

Just sat waiting for the AA at the in laws in Lancashire, car having continuing smoke problems at start up after a run, and now the engine undertray musn't have been secured properly and is hanging off scraping along the road. New engine just fitted , anybody out there go any ideas !

• 1 month later...

Hi

How's your car? We had a recon engine fitted in Oct 2011 to our '55 2.2 D4D T180 and since then had nothing but problems (mostly to do with the EGR valve and now complete loss of power, despite only having done 8k on the new engine Mr T wants nothing to do with it as quote 'we've spent enough on the car already'!). I'm hoping we can part exchange it ASAP but I was interested to know about notifying the DVLA. I didn't even think of this when we had the engine replaced, and the garage didn't tell me, do I need to notify the DVLA? If so, where can I find the engine number?

Thanks in advance

Hello Leanne, Eventually the teething problems after the new engine was fitted settled down and the car was running well. However by this time I had had enough of the Hassle and traded my car in for a Honda ( petrol ). I felt I couldn't trade it in prior to the engine change as it was so bad, however it did settle down and was running OK, just lost faith in Toyota altogether. Seems many people have had continuing problems, SOME sAAB 93's, 95's and Volkswgen diesels have similar problems all diesels.

The Garage should have given you the new engine number , ring them up or go in and get it , and then you send the V5 ( reg certificate ) off to DVLA, takes about 2 to 3 weeks. Cheers hope this helps .....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links