Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brakes On 2010 Avensis

Shane Clifford

Hi fellow forum users,

just had my avensis serviced at the local dealer who informed me that I need rear brake pads and disks, the car has only done 23k. Is this normal?, my last car done 55 k before the rear pads (not disks) wore out! I nearly fell over when the service manager informed me....surely with brake bias being normally 70% to the front you would expect to see the fronts wearing first. Please let me know if this is normal...and no I'm not a boy racer......

Hello Shane and welcome to the forum,

It's not easy to judge without seeing the car but there does seem to be a pattern developing here at Toyota dealers with brakes be worn out before their time or so they say.

I would not regard 23k as normal for rear brakes ... fronts maybe. My car had front discs/pads at 37k and the rears discs are still fine at 55k although I have recently changed the pads.

I would want them to show me the evidence before having the rears replaced and whilst they were at it ...... finding out why they have worn out so quickly!

Regards Pete.

Yes, and cheers Pete, I've told them not to carry out the repairs as I find that wear rate unsatisfactory, couple that with them telling me the disks also need changing. I've only had the car 11 months. Will tackle the dealer later

Did you manage to sort this? I have the same issue with my Auris.

I noticed when my 30,000 service was carried out that the dealer report made specific reference to the disc thickness which was 9.83 NSR and 9.77 OSR. Having read other posts on this forum, I made a mental note that when the MOT is due this June that I will face the same situation as Shane. Have looked at the official Toyota advertised price which isn't cheap and may well choose to buy a set of Pagit discs and pads from Eurocarparts where you get a 25% discount. I know I'm running a risk on the 5 year Toyota warranty, but would rather have a decent set of discs which are capable of lasting more than 3 years/30,000 miles.

To be honest, I have noticed a slight reduction in brake performance recently and suspect that the Toyota dealer is probably quite correct which I think poses the question about the quality of the Toyota brake parts.

Would be interested to know how you got on

new discs are 11mm thick and the recomended minimum thickness is 9mm, so 30000 miles to take of approx 1.2mm you can do your own maths.

I know I'm running a risk on the 5 year Toyota warranty,

your brake discs & pads don't have a 5 year warranty & as long as you use parts of equivalent or better spec. then according to Euro legislation there is nothing that Toyota can do.

new discs are 11mm thick and the recomended minimum thickness is 9mm, so 30000 miles to take of approx 1.2mm you can do your own maths.

Thanks for that very helpful information. You wouldn't happen to know what the equivalent thickness range is for front discs?

the front discs new 26mm, recomended minimum 24mm.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links