Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr And Maf Both Cleaned, Whats Next?

RichT180

For the past few days my T180 has felt slower than normal under 2000 rpm, I've cleaned both my EGR and Maf sensor today without any improvements. I'm thinking the next step is to change the fuel filter. The car is just not kicking in as normal and feels very sluggish until around 2200 rpm. Any advice would be welcome as things like this get right on my nut, Cheers

When was the filter last changed?

What does the coolant expansion tank look like? A normal pink colour or have you got any oil in there?

alex

just throwing some ideas out here

i dont know your exact model and some things may not apply

change your fuel filter first as a matter of course

then i personally would remove bat neg cable for an hour to default fuel timing settings etc but this will revert back to fuel type quality used and driving style within 100 miles.

was the inlet manifold coked up/restricted when the egr was removed and was it also removed and cleaned

also cleaning maf doesnt always repair it

dont know about yours but some mafs are the film type and dont usually clean well

is this engine susceptible to the scv fault?

is this a variable vane turbo that might have stuck vane actuator?

blocked cat or dpf needing a good roasting?

has it had any fuel contamination or fuel additives recently

is it this engine thats had the extended warranty for the hg and bore scoring issues?

any mods like tuning box / silly air filter or anything that could mess with car?

auto or manual box?

any other symptoms like smoke or poor start?

can you hear any boost leaks or premature wastegate wooshing

Engine replaced 4000 miles ago T180 avensis 2006, no mods, no fault codes showing, coolant is fine. No fuel additives, manual box no wooshing, all coke removed, has a good run down the motorway every day cant tell you about the turbo, thanks

Turns out that the EGR is faulty and sticking open. Mr T wanted £400 to fix the problem but i've managed to find one for £85 second hand. Thanks for the help

a lot of the time you can take it out and soak it in carb cleaner to get it working again if you dont want to spend the money to replace it.

• Like 1

I'll have a go after work today, second hand part wasn't off a T180 !Removed! idiots, so ordered one from Mr T at 260 notes but hopefully i won't need it. Brilliant tip thanks very much

So far so good, been in soak for a few hours after taking off the electrics and totally submerging it in carb cleaner. Just checked by some putting carb cleaner in it upside down and it's not coming out. Happy days, to think a small bit of crap nearly cost me 300 notes. Really hope this helps anyone else with the same issues :gora::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::toot:

Glad it helped! :thumbsup:

Carb cleaner is really magical stuff for cleaning out carbon-caked and sooted up parts! :)

All back together again and running good as new, This forum has got me a new engine and saved me quite a few quid, happy days, thanks again :yahoo:

All back together again and running good as new, This forum has got me a new engine and saved me quite a few quid, happy days, thanks again :yahoo:

That's great news Rich,

I do find it strange that after just 4k miles that the EGR was blocked, maybe they didn't clean it out when they fitted the new engine which if true is worrying as that's what leads to problems in the first place.

Pete.

Just a quick update, after freeing up the egr valve I've also changed the air and fuel filters. The car is running with plenty of grunt and mpg has improved. Car was serviced six months ago at Toyota dealers, it was obvious that the air filter had not been changed and when the engine was replaced the egr was not cleaned. This concerns me and I don't think I'll be using them for servicing again. Fingers crossed foe many miles of happy motoring, thanks again for all the help.

Rich

Great news that your T180 is back to top form Rich, yes I would change to a different garage for piece of mind or do it yourself mate it's out of the 7 year warranty now anyway and there is only 12 months warranty on the work already done!

Good luck with the car for the future,

Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links