Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Economical....?

ShinmaTsunami

Hey Guys and Girls,

I usually post in the Corolla Topic (Corolla owner) but my fiance asked me an interesting question.

We were driving home from San Francisco (Americans here) when we passed a Prius. I pointed out that it was a hybrid car. I pointed out that I knew that the Prius was also avaliable in Europe.

So here is my question.... Are Hybrids really popular in Europe? I figured this place would be the place to ask, since the forums are based in the UK. Anyway, any answer would be appreciated.

:arrgg-matey:

The new Prius went on sale in January. When I first enquired about buying one in Early February, I was quoted a 2 to 3 month delivery time but I eventually persuaded the dealer to sell me his four week old demonstrator. I must admit that I have never seen another Prius on the road, and they don't seem to display them in dealers showrooms so its difficult to say how popular they are in the UK. However it does seem that those few people who have bought them are very enthusiastic about the car - including me!

Are Hybrids really popular in Europe?

Yes and no.

Yes, the new Prius is much more popular than the old one and we can’t get enough of them to meet demand. Hence the long waiting list and very few demos at dealers.

However, that demand is for about 3,000 per year in the UK. That’s a lot of hybrids, but not a lot of cars in general (we sell about 10 times that many Yaris for example.) Europe is different to the US ( no, really!) in that we have a long tradition of small, diesel cars which can offer about the same fuel consumption as Prius. Of course what they can’t do is offer zero emissions in traffic jams.

Production is being increased to meet high demand from all round the world but the next significant step will be the hybrid Lexus. Based on the RX it will be fast as a V8 but with Corolla fuel economy. As the UK has a CO2 based company car taxation system that currently only diesels can exploit, we expect the RX400h, as it will be called, to do rather well.

The new RX and other big, fast hybrids will show customers that hybrid need not mean small and frugal – it can mean having a big SUV or executive car and not be hated for using too much fuel.

Scott

Thanx for the replies guys!! Much appreciated.

Toyota PR:

Wow. It really sounds like the hybrid is becoming the wave of the future. I wish I had money to invest in it. *laughs*

SilverT4:

I see alot of the Prius here in the US. And I think that Chevy has built a hybrid similar to the Echo (don't know the European name is).

Anyway, thanx again for the imput!!

:arrgg-matey:

I seem to remember someone saying the number of Prius available in the UK this year would be 1600.

I've only ever seen one other.

Is it popular? It is with me - big car features, small car fuel consumption.

Hi,

Yes I can echo Braindead's and Silver's comments. I too have never seen another Prius on the road here in the UK, but two of my work colleagues at work have and took particular interest in keeping pace with it to take a closer look because I'd told them I was getting one.

Anyone I meet and talk to about this hybrid car are normally impressed when I babble on about how good it is etc for low vehical excise duty, congestion charge exemption and fuel economy. Normally I go on about the gadgets the car has, especially the bluetooth. However all them have asked me if I have to 'plug it in' !

My dealer also told me that only 1600 are due in the UK this year.

Jason

We were due to only get about 1600 this year - hence the waiting list with the increased demand. We are trying to get more, but unlikley.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links