Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota "touch" Users, Quick Question

Smiler AS

Hi all,

Quick question for those that have the "touch" unit on a 2012 onwards Rav.

Im trying to replace my B9004 with a "touch" unit, even by plugging just the 10 pin connector I should get supply and volume.

I get supply okay, unit powers up goes through all functions

BUT

Im getting no sound at all!!??

Q1. When you adjust volume on the "touch" units, does the display show volume level number or increasing somehow?

- im not even getting that when I turn the volume knob, it clicks audio off okay and comes back on (or unit thinks its on?).

Q2. Assuming (and could be my mistake) that the pin numbers are the same for the 10 pin connector (certainly, ground, power we know are working), im getting ohm numbers at back when tested on both the B9004 and the touch unit, (UPDATE: the touch units ohm output is a fraction of what the B9004 is putting out) so the touch unit is putting out something?

Any help as always, appreciated.

If all fails, at least I know ive got a Sat Nav "go" unit I can use in the future when I change Ravs.

Ta

Aaron

Yeah, it says volume and a number in a banner across the top of the screen on any function.

Ok, Ta.

That's making me think its something to do with wiring then - slightly better.

Something that would cause no volume, a ground, negative or mute?

Well, everything wired up today.

Steering works, usb, ipod works, sat nav works, CD plays, bluetooth connects,

even touch and go website registered and accepted new details with my VIN and allowing updates etc.

- BUT...

..still no volume??

When I switch the unit on, it comes up with banner at top "audio off",

press volume button = "audio off"

press volume button again = nothing happening volume wise, just goes to last media source ie. starts to play CD's

turn volume knob = nothing happening (no banner at top)

try volume on steering wheel = nothing happening either.

(all other buttons work on the steering wheel).

Also, when I turn unit on and go to setup, the "sound settings" tab is greyed out.

_____

So close!!??

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

_____

Do the touch and go units possibly run with a separate amp between unit and Speakers?

(UPDATE: the touch units ohm output is a fraction of what the B9004 is putting out)

Both the 10 pin (E52) and the 6 pin (E53) connectors that go to the back of the B9004 go straight into the "touch" unit.

E52 being the important one with power, ground etc and front Speakers.

Any ideas from experts?

Seller of item is saying unit has to be tied to VIN number in order to produce sound?

I'm not so sure, but I have registered and validated unit with VIN number all successfully tonight.

Seller of item is saying unit has to be tied to VIN number in order to produce sound?

I'm not so sure, but I have registered and validated unit with VIN number all successfully tonight.

I had to extract the unit's individual identity by USB socket in car, and register via memory stick on line. Can you or has this been done?

The obvious thing to try would be to disconnect the "go" extension box which is bolted to the bottom of the "touch" audio unit. There are two bits of harness connecting the two.

It should then work as a straight "touch" audio only unit. No there won't be any navigation and it won't solve the overall problem, but it may at least prove that the audio output stages are all OK and that it is down to something that needs to be done to the "go" navi unit, or something that is not connected correctly between the two.

It doesn't need any kind of registration to work as a "touch" only unit.

That'll be a NAW then.......?

I had to extract the unit's individual identity by USB socket in car, and register via memory stick on line. Can you or has this been done?

I just copied the long 26 digit number and typed it in manually on the touch and go website and validated it (validated successfully).

Il do the copy to USB and try it somewhere.

Il try the 'standalone' touch unit today too.

Tried "touch" unit as standalone - still no sound.

Reconnected "go" unit, back up and copy "fingerprint" / info to USB, setup and got free updates through the Touch & Go toolbox application on PC.

So its all registered fine with update and linked to VIN & me no problem.

eBay seller has kindly offered money back which is fine to know.

Could be a bargain "go" sat nav unit for someone, it works a treat.

• 2 months later...

I got exactly the same problem.

The headunit (without Go-module) fits perfectly to the 10 and 6 pin connectors, I can even pair my BT devices and serveral radio stations are found, but: no sound at all.

I can turn the volume control: nothing.

The HU is from a RAV4, my car 2007 Auris. Anyway, the Speakers got 4Ohm, the Touch device has got an 4Ohm output. That cannot be the reason at all.

Maybe there is one wire missing, but which one? I don't have the "dimming", "amp remote", "power antenna" wires in use, mentioned in some GT86 forums.

Anybody made progresses on that question?

• 1 month later...

Found the solution:

The "older" cars got a pin for "antenna-power" on the connectors which is nowadays connected to the new antenna connector's blue cable.

When you are looking from the radio side onto the 10-Pin connector it is the 4th pin in the 2nd row. In my case it was an orange cable.

Usually in the old cars the pin next to this one is empty as it is used only on newer cars again to connect to an external amp.

Ah, so did you just have to swap the pins or tie two wires into same pin?

Sadly, I returned the unit thinking something was up with it- guess not - as yours everything worked fine apart from sound.

Bad news, my XT5 is away, good news, 62 plate XTR combine Wed with full Touch and Go Unit ( me and the missus both don't like the 4.4's, looks, size and especially the interior).

You just have to pull out this "power-antenna" wire from the wire harness in you car, so that is does not connect to the T&G unit. That's all.

Connecting it to the blue antenna cable (of the new antenna-connector since 2009) is optional.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links