Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvti Misgear Damage?

j4c3

Can missing a gear coming down out of 6th going into 3rd ruin the engine?

long story short sold my FSH immaculate celica to a young lad.

he has blown the engine and now wants a refund!

I think thats what he has done as he was very aggresive with the gearing on the test drive

thanks very much for your guidance

Unless you are a trader its a case of Caveat Emptor-Buyer Beware. You don't own him anything legally, maybe morally???

Over revving any engine aggressivly could cause engine damage and yes it could be the fault of the young lad. Up to you if you want to give him his money back, I would'nt!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Kingo.

it was FSH almost A1 condition , i drove it to his work so he was able to test drive it on his lunch,on the test drive he dropped it from 6th to 4th revving it hard.

later that evening his Mechanic mate came for an inspection & test drive he found it flawless.

I even let the lad take theV5 all the history home overnight to study before a penny had changed hands .

I let it go cheaper than intended as he seemed like a nice lad and super excited .

he took it away saturday 11am and returned saying the engine had blown on Sunday 4pm.

in my heart of hearts i think he trashed it Sunday afternoon ,or if a fault found you be back the day of sale or the very next morning.

I was going to give him some money toward repairs as a good will gesture but my wife disagreed thinking it may look like a admission of fault.

I wish i never let him have it now,he only lives 2 streets away as if youd sell a lemon close to home anyway.

he is saying long term neglect caused the engine to go,was ok the day prior when i used it and ok on the day of sale.

Id not mind but i look after my cars and I let it go cheap as i recalled how i felt as a young lad with my first nice car

Thank you very much Kingo.

it was FSH almost A1 condition , i drove it to his work so he was able to test drive it on his lunch,on the test drive he dropped it from 6th to 4th revving it hard.

later that evening his Mechanic mate came for an inspection & test drive he found it flawless.

I even let the lad take theV5 all the history home overnight to study before a penny had changed hands .

I let it go cheaper than intended as he seemed like a nice lad and super excited .

he took it away saturday 11am and returned saying the engine had blown on Sunday 4pm.

in my heart of hearts i think he trashed it Sunday afternoon ,or if a fault found you be back the day of sale or the very next morning.

I was going to give him some money toward repairs as a good will gesture but my wife disagreed thinking it may look like a admission of fault.

I wish i never let him have it now,he only lives 2 streets away as if youd sell a lemon close to home anyway.

he is saying long term neglect caused the engine to go,was ok the day prior when i used it and ok on the day of sale.

Id not mind but i look after my cars and I let it go cheap as i recalled how i felt as a young lad with my first nice car

It certainly makes you feel guilty when something like this happens, especially so close to home. I have to agree with Kingo though, how could a car with FSH have been neglected?. It's a harsh lesson for the lad, let's hope he learns to slow down before he's involved in an accident that costs him more than a repair bill.

Yes thats true.

as the car went for sale I almost backed out selling her but it didnt fit my lifestyle.

3 kids,2 dogs and a great big canoe.

thanks for taking the time to respond much appreciated.

Ive just had a conversation with a lad who is in his 20's, we just happened to mention this thread. He had 6 points for no insurance, then another 8 for no insurance when road testing a mates car after fitting brake pads. Only on a local estate, but the Police stopped him. He also hit a Police car head on in an accident whilst speeding in a 30, lost control and hit him head on, ended up with something like 22 points in total

The point is, why feel sorry for the lad you sold it to? He might very well have a similar driving style, and that aint your fault! ;)

Your spot on funnily enough got approached last night by someone who saw him

going hell for leather in the car.

Thanks again Kingo your a gent

Your spot on funnily enough got approached last night by someone who saw him

going hell for leather in the car.

Thanks again Kingo your a gent

We sell a lot of chip kits for diesels. I am often told by customers "I drive like Miss Daisy and only get bla bla bla MPG" and when you go for a test drive, they put the car sideways into a roundabout :eek: Sorry but I never believe people when they say they drive slowly anymore, I could be doing the lad an injustice, but I bet you any money he drove it like that too!

Sounds like he has put it into the wrong gear while he was thrashing it and doing so has smashed the valves as it's caused the engine to over rev, usually happens when down shifting at high speeds as it's a very close ratio gearbox.

Sounds like he's an idiot if he has done this, and seems like he can't drive for ****.

Don't give him any money back whatsoever, if you knew the car was in mint condition when you sold it then it serves him right, he should learn to drive properly, maybe now he will learn as it will cost him money next time he drives like an idiot.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links