Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice - Considering First Avensis...

ooglewoogle

Hi all....new to the forum....nice place you have here!

I am currently on the lookout for a reliable estate car for the princely sum of up to about £7500 give or take. I hadn't even considered an Avensis until earlier tonight when I noticed that some of the 09/10 new shape models had drifted into my price range.

It seems from autotrader that I can get a 09/10 2.0/2.2 D4D Tourer with a full history and around 70k on the clock, for around the £7500/600 mark. This sounds pretty cheap to me....but I wondered if some kind souls could comment on the type of value this offers? Are there issues with the new model that are deflating prices? How are they faring with the usual erg/dpf/turbo/dmf sort of stuff that seems to be plaguing most modern diesel offerings?

If you were investing in a car at my budget, do you think you would go for one of the above cars...or would you be swayed towards a less-leggy old shape?

Any and all advice and pointers greatfully received.

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forums.

You may also want to consider the 1.8 petrol version. You won't then have all the extra expense and possible problems of the diesel engined version. Fuel consumption is close to the 2.2L diesel, only the 2.0L diesel gives what most people would consider to be good diesel mpg. For real world mpg figures for the different models look at the below link:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2009

As far as the Avensis overall is concerned I think you will have problems finding something as good for the price. The only possible contender in value for money is probably the Mondeo. Personally I find the Avensis far better for comfort and overall value. I have the 1.8 auto (CVT) estate and my mpg is always 37 or 38 mpg no matter how I drive it.

If you were investing in a car at my budget, do you think you would go for one of the above cars...or would you be swayed towards a less-leggy old shape?

Having owned two T25's over three and a half years, then one T27 for a few months I'd go for the newer shape T27. Far better drive, comfort, refinement, looks etc. Also as Whitewagon has said the fuel figures are impressive on the petrols if you're uber-worried about the potential diesel issues.

Thanks for both the welcome and kind replies.

I am not wholly against the thought of a diesel, and in fact, have a preference for them. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a quick hint as to how they were faring in the issues that seem to blight many. I was also at one point considering an Accord 2.2 i-Dtec...and they seemed to have very few reported DPF problems. At the other end of the spectrum I had considered a new shape Berlingo....which seems to suffer a heap of problems.

I don't plan to do mega-miles, on which conventional wisdom would suggest a petrol car....but most of my journeys will be decent extra-urban runs, so plenty of time for dpf-regen. The 2.0l diesel really does return a good mpg figure, so certainly seems attractive from that point of view.....also both diesel units seem in greater supply than the 1.8vmatic.

I guess I am really just trying to balance eveything up....the curse of the indecisive! :) The whole lesser marque/lowish miles....vs the better quality of the Avensis at say 70k miles. Certainly I am swayed towards an Avensis....just whether I can count on some of that Toyota reliability in the diesel....or somewhere find a few more 1.8 petrol in my price range.

Thanks again.

The 2.2 Honda engine has it's share of troubles too. There's quite a few around with crankshaft problems, something to do with oil feed I believe. I'll talk you into a Toyota by boring you a bit...

I had a manual T25 1.8 vvti Avensis for 2.5 years, from 65 to 80k miles, and from 3.5 years old til about 6 yrs old. It gave me average 45mpg, and could get as high as 52mpg believe it or not. It had FSH when I bought it but I gave it a full service anyway, including pollen filter, alt belt & spark plugs. During my ownership it got a further 2 oil changes. Apart from that it cost me the pricely sum of one tail light bulb and one rear wiper blade. Seriously, nothing else, not a tyre, a brake, nothing. However when I sold it it had a tick, maybe from a tappet, when cold.

Ok, so Jap cars seem good but I fancied a change so I bought an Accord 2.2 cdti with 85k on it and FSH, and about 5 years old. Hated that car, uncomfortable, noisy, 45 mpg at best, and clouds of black smoke out the back every time you asked for power. IMHO that car needed a full injection system overhaul. Sold it within 4 months.

Bought an auto Avensis 1.8 vvti, 30k miles and about 6.5 years old. Fuel consumption not as good as the manual at at 35-41 mpg. It felt a bit underpowered but was equally as good as the manual for not needing repairs. I did, however, need to put a set of brakes on it. The expensive road tax and lower fuel economy annoyed my so I sold it after about a year.

Then a few months ago I bought a T27 2.0 diesel. Better all round car, cheaper road tax and 50 mpg or just a tad more. So far I'm very happy with it, time will tell if it'll be as good as the best car I've ever owned - the manual petrol Avensis.

My other half has a Citroen C4 1.6hdi 110bhp auto. Bought 3 years old, it's now 5 and has about 30k miles on it. So far we've had a front spring broken on the driveway, an ABS fault (turned out to be a brake light switch, Citroen wanted over £200 for that, a gamble from the C4 owners forum got me fixed for £28), an air-con condenser blown, a passeng electric window which only works from the passenger switch as it wishes, heated mirrors which only work occasionally, and a CD player which decides which discs to play or not. It's powerful, solidly footed, fairly comfortable if you're not long-legged, and has half decent kit. However it just doesn't feel anywhere near the build quality as any of the Toyotas. If we could've got a small Toyota diesel auto with bigger than the 1.4 engine we'd have bought one. Her next car probably won't be french.

So, if it's any help... Buy a petrol new shape Avensis and have no worries about breakdowns - ever. Buy it cheaper than you would a diesel. Swallow the extra fuel costs (if it's any worse than the diesel in the first place) and the extra road tax. Enjoy the heater getting hot quick. Or get the diesel seeing as you like them, and have it in the back of your mind that one day you MIGHT need a cylinder head or a clutch. I went for the latter. Buy Citroen if you want to sit with your legs cramped. Buy it cheaper and get better fuel economy and lower tax again. But be prepared for repair bills and for things not to work randomly.

Thanks for taking the time to share some more of your thoughts Alan....v.helpful.

I am definitely sold on an Avensis....just a case of trying to get the right car....not easy from up here in the Scottish Isles with the dribs and drabs of cars dispersed with traders in the heart of England. :) I think I would be happy to take either the 1.8vm or the 2.0D4D, so that will help a bit. I see Honest John has the 2.0D4D listed as VED band C....£30 tax....is that right? Nice.

So it seems like my options if I go for the current shape will be a 1.8 petrol with around 55-60k....of the 2.0 litre diesel with around 70-75k. Naturally, I have a slight preference for the diesel....but from what I hear, 70k is getting near "possible bill" time for the current gen of diesel cars re. dmf's/dpfs. Will have to see if I feel lucky.

Is there anything I should look out for in particular? Also, did I read somewhere that they should have 3 keys? I notice quite a lot of the listings only have the 2.

And finally, should it prove too hard to track one down from here....any thoughts on an 08 late model of the previous shape? Am I correct in assuming they got it pretty bang on by that stage?

Thanks again.

as u have mentioned the dmf.... i will say this,,,, i had a new engine under toyota warrenty and as mine had done 90k+ on the origonal one i opted to have it replaced as the gearbox was out etc even though there was absoloutly no sign of wear while driving etc. parts were 1200 quid inc vat from toyota so i promptly phoned round all the car part suppliers (ajays euro parts etc) and couldnt get much change out of a grand. having said that mine is the older style but i couldnt be happier with it although the cabin hight is a little to be desired if ur looking at using it for carrying stuff of any conciquence.

hope this helps

coop

I think the road tax on mine is £120/year, definately not as low as £30. Maybe there are variations like one without diesel particulate filter and others with it or something. Two of mine have had three keys, and the other one had two keys. The third key is a valet key by the looks of it. I believe the diesel engine was changed at some point but I'm not sure whether it was at the 06 facelift or the 09 new shape launch, or somewhere in between. One is a timing belt and one a chain.

I believe the diesel engine was changed at some point but I'm not sure whether it was at the 06 facelift or the 09 new shape launch, or somewhere in between. One is a timing belt and one a chain.

My Avensis 2.0, 2006, facelift has new engine 1AD-FTV , 126hp,with t. chain, without DPF. Tax is £120...

I think older engine 1CD-FTV, 116hp is with t.belt.

It seems from comparing VED rates at DVLA/Honest John/Toyota literature.....that the emissions and subsequent banding changed for the 2.0D4D sometime after 2011. At this point it dropped from band E to it's current banding of C, being free for year 1 and £30 subsequent years. This would suggest to me that the engine never received a DPF until after this date....could this be correct? Amazing news for me if so! :)

.just a case of trying to get the right car....not easy from up here in the Scottish Isles

Depending on how you want to pay for your new car there's a few popping up at British Car Auction (BCA) at Edinburgh regularly. There's two tourers on 15/5/13. A silver 09 plate 1.8 v-matic TR with 112k miles, and a blue 10 plate 2.0d-4d TR with 68k miles. Judging by the fact that you could buy a 59 plate petrol with 98k on it from auto trader for £6500 I'd like to think the one at auction should sell for around £5000 maybe plus its fees. The diesel one will probably be under your budget too. It might be an idea to plan a day to Edinburgh when there's a few for sale?

Cheers Alan....I do have my eye on the diesel one at Edinburgh BCA from Lex. I may try and arrange to be down there for it....but auction prices and fees seem to be in the realms of crazy now, at least at the big houses. That said, we have been thinking of a trip down to Hampshire to our old stamping ground, so if there were a few possibles at Blackbushe over a few days, I could def. be tempted.

My old car is off the road now....but taking the bus up here on the isles means phoning it and having it pick you up from your front door....so not too bad. :^)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links