Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Panic Help Please :-( Stripped Thread On Panhard Mount

Ric Carden

HI all

Well I've been a wally, I replaced my panhard bar yesterday as drivers side was scrubbing. I swear I only tightened the flange nut holding the whiteline bar at the axle end by hand, But it didnt feel tight so i gave it a couple more pushes. I then decided I'd locktite it so removed it again but it had stripped the thread completely for the 1st 1/4 inch. The nut now only bites for about the last 1/8th inch. Arghhh these 5 minute jobs.

What should i do?

a: leave it alone with only a bit of bite on thread and see what happens (am on a long journey in 10 days),

b: take it back off then put some JB Weld on it and put it back on?

c: Just take it to a garage to see if they can cut a thread and put a smaller bolt on

I don't have tap and die and not sure you could use one in that location anyway, i think its 13mm stud would a 12mm draper hex die cut a new thread (i've now ordered one) then I could get a 12mm flange nut, But I think the nut die's are only for chasing bolts not re-threading..

I've driven the car for a while Yesterday and the nut doesn't seem to have moved, I don't think its under much stress as the Stud takes the strain in an up/down manner so maybe the nut just holds the washer in place but is the last few MM of thread enough to hold it permanent

advise much appreciated

Ric

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links