Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Starting Problems

jacklou1878

hi all i am new to the site and i would really like some help..

I own a 2000 avenisis 1.8 vvti which will not start...the problem started about a month ago...symtoms where that the car would only start if the key was wiggled about in the ignition.....after reading posts on this site it pointed to the ignition switch on the base of the barrel.....i have recieved a new one today, fitted it and still nothing....doesnt even help wiggling the key any more........i have noticed though that when the key is turned to the start position the fuel gauge goes to zero and the screen on the centre console goes out as does the screen that shoes the milage.....no other lights go out or dim, not even the head lights...the Battery is fully charged so dont think that is the problem......the car starts straight away with a push up the road....... hopefully someone on here might have some idea before i have to go to our local diagnostics centre to have my pants pulled down before they rob me blind.........thanks to you all.....Ian

Sounds like a job for an auto electrician to me. Something isn't right in there and it needs a guy who knows electrics to sort it. Experience counts here.

Did the fuel gauge and the other display do the same reaction when the old switch was fitted. Is the new switch supplied by Toyota?

The reason I am asking is when I changed my switch a few years back, the one supplied had the wrong connections. I compared the pin outs between the two and realised it was wrong. The thing is that it was identical and would would fit no problems. The supplier was not a Toyota dealer and I got a refund and had to go to a main dealer a short distance away.

Other makes of cars use the same switch but wired different. You did not state the source of your new switch.

thanks for your replies guys.....had my car to the local diagnostics bloke and low and behold me trying to save a few quid buying off the internet has bit me in the ****....the new switch that i bought off eBay was wired up different inside even though it did fit........that will teach me....genuine one coming from toyota next week.......will let you know what happens.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links