Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Owner - Ooooold Member - Reverse Camera Help!

Kenno

Evenin' all. I've returned to the forums after a long break (last Toyota was a Yaris a good few years ago), and I need a bit of help if possible!

We bought a 2007 Rav4 xt4 a few weeks ago, but after seeing an xt5 with a reverse camera I decided I'd like one too to help me fit in the notoriously tight spaces in my works car park!

I've fitted a sony double din head unit that accepts a camera input and I've bought the cheap ccd rav4 parking sensor from eBay that fits into the licence plate bulb holder. After a bit of tweaking it seems to fit and is pointing a bit higher up now. However, I can't figure out how to get the wire inside the car from beneath the bumper. I was hoping to follow the wires from the license plate bulbs but I can't find a way in. Alternatively there are two rubber grommets underneath the boot but I don't like the ideas of wires being out in the open and close to the ground.

I've spent hours upon hours researching online but can't seem to find out how to do this - most places take me to information on how to do it on an xt5 which I believe already has the wiring? Or information about trailer wiring which connects inside and then just goes out through the boot when in use. Has anyone else done this? I assume it's a similar process to reversey beep beeps?!

I've also recently read a couple of warnings about cheap chinese cameras causing problems? Does this mean I should invest in a different camera?!

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long first post!

You need to check what kind of connection you already have installed.

Must remove back door trim and find S7 connector... here link to tutorial LINK

T180 and XT5 are already prepared to install rev camera. I have installed rev camera to my XT5 last week. Pretty easy job but I did serious mistake with connection and fried camera.

Luckily I had 2 same cameras and second one (after made few connection mods) works briliant.

I have heard that some XT4 has all rev camera wiring already installed. Maybe you are lucky? Check it out :)

• Like 1

Evenin' all. I've returned to the forums after a long break (last Toyota was a Yaris a good few years ago), and I need a bit of help if possible!

We bought a 2007 Rav4 xt4 a few weeks ago, but after seeing an xt5 with a reverse camera I decided I'd like one too to help me fit in the notoriously tight spaces in my works car park!

I've fitted a sony double din head unit that accepts a camera input and I've bought the cheap ccd rav4 parking sensor from ebay that fits into the licence plate bulb holder. After a bit of tweaking it seems to fit and is pointing a bit higher up now. However, I can't figure out how to get the wire inside the car from beneath the bumper. I was hoping to follow the wires from the license plate bulbs but I can't find a way in. Alternatively there are two rubber grommets underneath the boot but I don't like the ideas of wires being out in the open and close to the ground.

I've spent hours upon hours researching online but can't seem to find out how to do this - most places take me to information on how to do it on an xt5 which I believe already has the wiring? Or information about trailer wiring which connects inside and then just goes out through the boot when in use. Has anyone else done this? I assume it's a similar process to reversey beep beeps?!

I've also recently read a couple of warnings about cheap chinese cameras causing problems? Does this mean I should invest in a different camera?!

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long first post!

Hi Kenno,

I've fitted a reversing camera to a 2008 XT5 with a Sony XNV-L77BT headunit. I suspect that your installation will need to be a bit different to mine as I have no door mounted spare wheel and my number plate is mounted on the door.

Can I suggest that you use the same route to get the cable into the car that a standard Toyota tow-bar wiring kit does? Behind the section of the rear bumper that wraps around the side of the car ( both sides ), there is a ventilation grill arrangement - a bit like a closed venetian blind . The tow-bar cable passes through this and, from personal experience, causes no problems. If you were to route the cables, power and signal, through this grill you could pick up the feed to the reversing lights and use this to feed 12v to the camera. If your headunit is similar to mine, you also need to take the same feed to the headunit to tell it when to display the image from the camera. It is not difficult to route the cables, probably best to use the trim removal/replacement and routing instruction that Toyota issue for the tow-bar wiring.

If I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs with the next bit - just ignore me!

Where the signal and power cables pass through the grill, it would be prudent to give them some extra protection against rubbing. Maybe two or three layers of shrinking sleeving or several layers of insulation or self-amalgamating tape. Also fix the cable securely both inside and outside the grill to prevent movement.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks both! I'll check what connections I have already and then look for this ventilation grill as I didn't notice anything when I was underneath with my torch. I wouldn't have considered adding the extra protection so thanks for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Aggghhh - I've had a look for the grills and can't see anything. I've taken the interior out as much as I dared to have a look down the side panel and underneath the boot storage, but I still can't find a way in! I keep seeing little grommet things underneath which look promising, but they don't lead to the interior of the car. There was one down the side by the light cluster, I assume for the licence plate lights, but that seemed to be tailored to fit the wires, and didn't look like I'd be able to fit any more through - but this still might be my best bet! I could always drill a hole somewhere, but I'd like to avoid this. From other posts I've read, this bit has been glossed over so I'm hoping there's a really easy way of getting the wires in that I just haven't realised yet.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I haven't checked for the S7 connector in the door yet, because mine's got the wheel on the back and the camera's going in the licence plate light fitting beneath the bumper, but Is it still worth me checking for it?

Thanks.

Aha - I've just found a tech guide for parking sensors, which shows the grill things - so I'll see if I can find them now I know exactly where they are. On the parking sensor guide they've taken the bumper off though, but I'm hoping I won't have to do that?!

EDIT - Yes! There are quite clearly some grill/vents right where I've been looking! Thanks Chris! I'll carry on with this at the weekend - or sooner if I get the chance.

I can assure you the way in is through the vent flaps. Easier with the bumper off but you can get at them from underneath.

Yeh. Does seem obvious now. I spent ages looking too! I think I should be able to do it keeping the bumper on. Hopefully anyway. Might give it a go tonight if the weather's ok.

Hi,

We had to move a camera from the tailgate, to the rear bumper recently..

We found a rubber grommet ( behind the removable panel on the o/s area of the boot) which gave access to the area inside the rear bumper, and used that.

Just had to make a small hole in it for the wire to pass through, and then used cable ties to hold it in place behind the bumper…

Can take a pic later if required..

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks. A pic would be interesting to compare mine with if it's not too much trouble, but I'm hoping I can use the vents anyway.

That rubber grommet is only free on the later models with no sun roof. On the earlier models you will find it occupied by a clear plastic tube which is a drain from the sunroof opening all the way up in the roof panel. The vent is easier than trying to share the grommet.

That rubber grommet is only free on the later models with no sun roof. On the earlier models you will find it occupied by a clear plastic tube which is a drain from the sunroof opening all the way up in the roof panel. The vent is easier than trying to share the grommet.

Oppps... sorry.. didn't know that... :blushing:

Pics of mine..

gallery_56959_1575_5560.jpg

gallery_56959_1575_7736.jpg

HTH

It's done! Thanks for the advice. Routed the wires through the vents. Zip tied them to the licence plate lights wiring. Scotchblocked into the reverse light (hoping that black is +ive and black&white is -ive ?!) And for now I've just run the cable through the interior and have tucked it out the way. I'll hide it away properly when I have more time.

The camera works, but annoyingly doesn't automatically appear on the screen when reverse is selected as I was hoping. I'll have to look into that but I can live with it. Need to sort out the lines/measurements on the screen next. A job for tomorrow I think!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links