Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

02 Avensis - Infuriating Alarm/key Problem...

aSteve

I've an 02 plate Avensis 2.0 CDX (the old shape...) and the electronics of both keys (used to lock/unlock and arm/disarm the alarm - two button key-fob) has become very unreliable.

I can use the car just fine right now - it is not alarmed - by locking and unlocking manually using the key.

Is there a way to disable the alarm to avoid the alarm somehow becoming set and locking me out of my own car?

Does your alarm disarm with the key-fob, but the remote central locking not work? This is a sign that the 7.5A 'dome ' fuse in the engine bay fuse box has degraded, but not actually blown.

Swap it with a spare fuse and see if it works.

Another problem I came across was that the interior light fitting melted. I replaced it one that is a better design - more like an upgrade, from eBay. The old one made bulb changing fiddly and caused the fuse to blow.

Also check the other fuses and relays if you have not done already.

I'm pretty sure that the fault lies with the key-fob-senders.... Pressing the buttons (after a period of flakey behaviour) no longer seem to have any effect.

I'd like to disable the alarm - in order to be sure to always be able to use the key itself.

I presume that the batteries have been changed and the contacts are all clean and in good condition?

The keys have had multiple 'doctorings' - and, now - even if I got one to work, I;d have no confidence in it.

Maybe time to invest in a replacement from eBay or your local key bloke then. There have been threads on here in the past about replacement keys. One thing is for sure: don't touch Toyota orginals - you will Shell out approx. £130. Um, you could PM Parts King and see what he can do for you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links