Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis T27 Ii

Valvematic

Hi, its me again with the bag of nails tourer.

In the morning or when the car has been sat and been left to go cold when I set off there is a kind of a clack noise when pulling away. Any ideas?

thanks.

The noise only occurs once when the car is started and at the same speed each time. Could it be the abs system calibrating itself. Does anyone else notice the same noise?

The only thing that sounds like that is the automatic central locking, it usually operates at around 12 to 15 mph.

The only thing that sounds like that is the automatic central locking, it usually operates at around 12 to 15 mph.

It deffo isn't self locking.

However this is something I would like to enable, how is it done? thanks.

However this is something I would like to enable, how is it done? thanks.

As far as I know it's enabled as standard.

If its not this that's causing your noise where does the noise seem to come from and what speed does it occur at?

Some cars like our Hyundai i20, have a feature that when travelling the doors automatically lock when approx 15mph is reached. The doors unlock automatically when the car is stopped and the key taken out of the ignition. The doors can be manually unlocked at any time.

This is separate to the deadlocking.

Is it the deadlocks you are referring to?

No as FB above states as you drive away the central locking automatically operates, on my TR there is a locking switch on the drivers door next to the window locking switch, if you drive away and then come to rest the doors will stay locked until, in my case, I either operate the switch or turn the ignition off (cant remember offhand whether the key has to be removed or not). When you drive off and reach around the 15mph mark you should hear a fairly loud click or, as you say, a clack noise which is the central locking system locking all doors. To check that it is working drive off and after you hear the noise stop without stopping the engine and see if the passenger doors can be opened from the inside. If not then operate the door unlock switch and all doors should unlock, if this makes the same sound as your "clacking" noise that is what it is.

Had the car in at the dealer today, they confirmed the noise at 10mph is the ABS calibrating.

The other issue with the vibration/rattling felt through the steering wheel will need further investigation with noise detecting equipment. It is suspected there is something amiss in the steering column. They checked the steering/suspension steering components and found no issue.

Issue with the steering clattering seems to be temperature related.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links