Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid Real Range?

Dasbob

Hello

I did a quick search on the forum but didnt find anything about this, so sorry if its been posted before.

I have done around 1000 miles in my Auris now, and on the two times i filled up the range meter said 470 Miles, but as yet i not gone below 150 miles left (was out of convenience to fill up, i sort of live in the sticks).

This time i plan to test out the range.... but still 470 miles? at the stated 9.9 gallon tank that is 47mpg! which is odd as my average on my computer (reset when i refill) is 64mpg. I just had a bit of a study session with the manual and came across a note saying that if the tank goes empty, you will need to put in 2.2 gallons to make the low petrol light go off....."hmmm" i thought. So if we deduct the 2.2 we get 7.7 Gallons and that works at about 61 mpg meaning i should be able to get 120 miles (ish) once i go dry

Now i have no wish to run out of petrol, so is any one else here able to deny/confirm this suspicion of mine?

Many Thanks

Kevin

Can't confirm your suspicions as I have an Avensis but the only real way to find out is to fill, the tank to the brim and run it till the light comes on then refil and see how much you have used. I am not entirely sure how the range meter works but I would not rely on it being absolutely accurate until you have done the tests. The range meter may or may not work on just the level left in the tank or it could adjust according to how you drive at the time. With my Avensis the fuel gauge takes a time to register usage i.e. it shows higher to,start off with but then drops more rapidly after about half way. The mpg figure though is very accurate as on numerous brim to brim tests it has registered within one mpg of the tests carried out.

The range meter tends to be quite pessimistic whereas the mpg tends to be overly optimistic!

I never use the range reading, it seems all over the place to me, I get down to 2 bars and fill up. The gauge is accurate and you will still have enough fuel in the tank to get you to a garage even when the low fuel light comes on

My average MPG overall was 55 in a Mk1 Auris Hybrid

Kingo :thumbsup:

I think Cyker has summed things up well !

Since I got my Auris in April (2011 Mk1) the most fuel I have put in is 36 litres which is about 7.9 gallons. The most miles I have done between fill ups in this hot weather is 442 and I still had about 50 left on the range display.

To be honest I don't like running low and haven't got to the flashing stage on the fuel display but I get the feeling that 470 to 480 miles should be achievable but I might be pushing my luck if I try to get 500.

Peter

Cheers guys, sounds like my suspicions might be true, i think i will see how many litres i put in it when i fill it up this weekend

Okay back of the !Removed! packet stuff here but here goes.

Filled up with about 18 miles left on the range and 480 on my trip (lets say 500 miles), i put in 39.6 litres (lets say 40) which works out at 55mpg (my computer said 63.4mpg). Now i will admit that this time i filled to the brim, i think last time i just filled till it stopped, so you could knock off 2-3 litres which gives you around 57 mpg, still about 10% out of what it says.

Now onto the range, that means i had 5 litres left in the tank with 20 miles to go till the computer said i was at 0 range, which is just over a gallon left in the tank, so at a true 55mpg we are looking at about 40-50 miles left once you hit 0 (depending on how you drive of course).

interesting to see it has about the same MPG as my peugeot 107 had, but that was a lighter car with a 998cc not a 1.8. So overall not bad! i didnt buy the car purely on the MPG (i would have got a yaris hybrid or such for that) so i am pleased that i got a nice medium sized fancy car which matches the mpg of a small economical car

Funny that! Quite a few of us seem to have bought the hybrid,

not exclusively for the best MPG possible, but just because it was a 'nice car'.

I know that I certainly did, in my mind anything greater than 55 mpg is a bonus.

The car is really nice to drive and going for max mpg all the time would just make it a chore.

Of course,this is just my opinion, and your mileage may vary. :oops

G...

I have the diesel excel, rather than the hybrid and on doing a brim to brim after a mixture of town and motorway driving I am getting 62 MPG.

But I am not saving the planet. :blushing:

I have never bothered to work out the price on diesel vs petrol MPG, any one know if any one else has done the leg work on seeing how much MPG a diesel needs to beat a petrol on price?

I worked it out when I was comparing the two engines. For me, at the fuel prices in March, the diesel worked out £50 cheaper than the hybrid.

Once I took the servicing costs in to account based on my driving - no brake replacement on the hybrid, one set of tyres instead of two etc, the two engines broke even over 3 years, so I went with the hybrid because it had the gadgets. And I like shiny shiny!